Hi from Keilo :]

Keilo

Hi everyone

My name is Keilo and I'm from Perth in West Australia. I'm currently a student studying for a diploma of education. I came across this forum while I was surfing the net for some information on Netsuke for a project I'm doing.

It's been a long time since I have been carving, studying doesn't give me much free time, but before I dabbled in bone and wood carvings. I have been very inspired by the images I have found. It was also nice to be able to use an Aussie netsuke artist, Susan Wraight, as an influencing artist on this current Uni project.

I'm now hanging out for all my assignments to be finished so I can get back in the studio!

So hello ...and

Thanks for giving me a kick start

Keilo :]

Guest ford hallam

Gadday! from Blighty

what ever you do, don`t mention the cricket, (not that I really care, South Africa will probably beat them both. :D )

welcome to the asylum ;)

Ford ;)

Hi everyone

My name is Keilo and I'm from Perth in West Australia. I'm currently a student studying for a diploma of education. I came across this forum while I was surfing the net for some information on Netsuke for a project I'm doing.

It's been a long time since I have been carving, studying doesn't give me much free time, but before I dabbled in bone and wood carvings. I have been very inspired by the images I have found. It was also nice to be able to use an Aussie netsuke artist, Susan Wraight, as an influencing artist on this current Uni project.

I'm now hanging out for all my assignments to be finished so I can get back in the studio!

So hello ...and

Thanks for giving me a kick start

Keilo :]

• 4 months later...
Hello!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested in hearing about your project.  Without being too nosey, would you care to elaborate?

Sorry for not replying for so long but exams and then christmas kept me from the net.

My project was a simulation of a yr 11 visual art project ( second last year of school). We had to write a project brief, then follow the brief as if we were a year 11 student, ending up with a final piece.

I did a piece of jewellery based on drawings I did of shells and influenced by oceanic art. It was a carved 'bead' (pendant) wood (I think it is malee but it was given to me by my dad so I can't be 100% on that) with cow bone and hemp twine.

Unfortunately due to the pressure of the course my time was limited and I had two weeks of production time which meant the final piece wasn't as finished as I would have liked. Lack of time forced a disasterous mistake... I hadn't inspected the piece of wood properly there was a fault in it and the piece snapped half way through the sanding process! I was not impressed but had to do a glue job and keep going to get the assignment in on time (lucky we were being marked on the project as a whole)

Hello!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested in hearing about your project.  Without being too nosey, would you care to elaborate?

Sorry for not replying sooner but I was extremely busy with exams and then it was Christmas!

Anyway the project was part of my teaching diploma. We had to design a yr 11 ( second last year of school) visual art project/brief, follow the brief as if we were the student and create a final piece from our design development.

I chose to do a jewellery project inspired by shells and influenced by oceanic art. It is made from wood (malee I think but I'm not 100% as it was given to me by my father), cow bone and hemp fibre.

Unfortunately, due to the pressures of the course and a period of sickness, I had two weeks to produce the final piece. This meant I was unable to complete it to a finish I was happy with. It also meant I didn't inspect the piece of wood properly before I started carving. Disaster struck at the first sanding... there was a fault in the wood and it snapped in two! Lucky for me the assessment was on the project as a whole and a quick glue job was acceptable.

the first photo is the front, the second the back, and a detail of the front. Again the photos were taken in a rush so forgive me for the quality.

Anyway it turned out ok and I passed the unit with flying colours.

:]

post-141-1138726866.jpg

post-141-1138726880.jpg

post-141-1138726889.jpg

Very nice piece. It has a nice combination of shapes and colors. I seem to be drawn to things that incorporate spirals in their shape, so I like the spiral element.

You managed to recover from the breakage well. I've had to go through this a couple of times too, as I suspcect many others have as well.

Kelly

I agree with Kelly, on both comments. (Shudder, breakage and repair. We never mention that except to our spouses! Such news does not go beyond the studio walls :D )

The wood has quite a nice character! Is it a hard or soft wood? Is it resinous? How did you finish the wood?

The wood snapped most likely because the wood is a cross section, with no long fibers to give strength. The wood cells grow vertically with the length of the wood and that structure allows a split to happen. We learn these things the hard way sometimes!

Nice project for the class. Got any new ideas you want to follow this one with? When you want to write about them, start the new topic in New Work or Show & Tell forum area. If you want to tell us about the wood that you think this is, use the Materials section. We tend to blur the lines a bit when we follow a long thread in the Who's Who part of the forum.

Thank you for resuming your introduction!

Janel

Archived