Sperm Whale Tooth Pendant

Recently I've been following Billy's carving blog on Tumblr, and I strongly admore his work. It was very helpful for trying to gain a better understanding of fine Maori traditional work.This peice is both an exercise in new and desired techniques, an attempt at redemption for dropping my sturgeon on a concrete floor, and an attempt to use the entire tooth with as little waste as possible.

The piece was supposed to contain both Canadian Aboriginal (I neglected to mention I live almost on a reserve) and Maori motifs, I appropriated from both but more heavily relied on the Maori aspect. Also my first experience with paua shell.

I would like to write a longer description and explain better, however I am in a bit of a rush. Thank you for your time and for sharing your work with all of us here.

post-3058-0-55495300-1336421615.jpg

post-3058-0-06574000-1336421624.jpg

post-3058-0-55052800-1336421636.jpg

post-3058-0-78349900-1336421650.jpg

post-3058-0-21351800-1336421667.jpg

post-3058-0-40140800-1336421679.jpg

Fantastic Bella. I think it's great. Nice depth to your design, and originality. There is much to learn about Maori art and culture. The later being more important to understand, as the art rolls off the back of the culture. I must admit though. Your country has an amazing history in indigenous art. The North West Coast art scene is strongly admired in New Zealand, and there are many collaborative projects between the two cultures. If you're ever in Vancouver, be sure to check out the Spirit Wrestler Gallery that represents NZ's TOP Maori carvers. You will find no better collection of contemporary Maori art in the World.

Keep up the great work. Mauriora.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and encouragement,

Baz, I'm glad you can see both aspects it was a bit of a challenge to fit them together harmoniously!

Billy, thank you for the kind words and for providing such great resources for your cultural history, it really is a wonderful and fascinating culture I have great respect for. I have visited the Spirit Wrestler gallery online! WOW! Fantastic artwork! I wondered where your artwork was! Some of my favorite works of art from my favorite Canadian artists are in that gallery, very inspirational.

Hi Bella. I haven't tried to get my work into Spirit Wrestler. I don't think my blood line is strong enough for their liking. Although other galleries have the same restrictions but have still accepted my work, so maybe one day. Kia ora, b.

Archived