Sources Of Cheap/free Materals

Dan

planing on starting carving and maybe introducing some of my studients to carving as i get good at it. but to do so i need to get cheap and free carving materials. i will start with wood since i have plenty of wood for carving and widling. but would like to use bone, shell, stone and anything else you can sugest. looking for sources of material that is in illinois around chicago so if you can give me ideas on sources that would be great. im also looking for a source of antler in illinois im planing on turning pens to sell to hunters so if there are any farms that raise deer please let me know.

• 3 months later...

there is a soap stone quary by my cousins house and he walked over for me and asked if they had a heap bin or pile he could look for and he got a few large chuncks of soap stone. they are to cracked for cuting into blocks and selling but he is going to carve small necklaces and arrow heads ect..... so next time im in that way i think ill pick up a tub full of them. the stone heap they just pile it up and dont make anything out of it or sell it. because it too damaged for general large sales or its too small for most stores. so the manager scratched his head and said that they usaly sell it by the pound and in the range of 1000 lb shipments and they said that if he wanted too he could fill a small box that he had for 10 bucks with all the small pieces he could get. i figure for 100 dollers i could get enough soap stone for carving and turning to last me for years.

Archived