New Work (Finally)

Hello Everyone,

it's been a while since I last posted. I have been regularly dipping in to the website and remain gob-smacked by the imagination and skill shown. I like to browse through the photos.

This is my latest carving. It is lime and 10 - 15cm high. I did struggle with the smaller aspects mostly due to deteriorating eyesight.

Perhaps I am simply very slow or too pernickety but what I never appreciated when I started carving was the time involved - you need real patience.

Do most of you have various carving subjects on the go at the same time or do you always finish one before starting the next?

Thanks anyway,

David.

post-2918-0-49225200-1338237417.jpg

post-2918-0-25798300-1338237436.jpg

post-2918-0-67438800-1338237449.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

not carving but it is project related when im making stuff depending on what im making and why. right now im geting ready for a sale and i need lots of stuff to put on a table. when im batching out stuff like right now ring holders ill do it step by step right now my ring holders need to be shaped then next is to sand the bottoms of all of them then ill finish them at the same time.

when im making a unique project ill do one step at a time till im finished unless i get frustraited and bord. then i might set it aside for a time. and do something that is easer just to ease the frustraistion that i might be feeling.

but here is a thought if you cant see small stuff for carving then make your carving bigger. break out a chain saw and some heavy carving tools and go to town on a stump.

Thanks Leonid. The tree is Jelutong. Here's the Wikepaedia description. I have only just looked this up and was unaware of the dermatitis risk but, touch wood (sorry...), no ill effects yet. By the way, love the Sumos.

David.

The jelutong (Dyera costulata, syn. D. laxiflora) is a species of tree in the oleander subfamily. It grows to approximately 60 metres (200 ft) tall with diameters of 2 metres (5 to 6 ft), or even to 80 m (260 ft) tall with diameters to 3 m (10 ft)[1], andboles clear and straight for 30 m (90 ft). It grows in Malaysia, Borneo, Sumatra and southern Thailand[1]. Its natural distribution is scattered locales in low-elevation tropical evergreen forest.

Jelutong is used for its magical properties. Along with balsa it is technically a hardwood with many properties similar to that wood. These properties such as the low density, straight grain and fine texture mean it is easy to work with and hence popular with model makers and within the patternmaking trade. The roots are used as a cork substitute.

In addition, jelutong can be tapped for latex and from the 1920s through the 1960s, jelutong latex was an important source of chewing gum.

Jelutong has been traditionally overharvested, and is a threatened species in many areas. However, due to its quick growth, hardy survival, and strong replanting efforts, its extinction is unlikely. It is a protected species in parts of Malaysia andThailand. The tree is grown commercially for timber.

Sawdust from this species has been known to cause allergic dermatitis.

Hi David,

I have been working with Jelutong for many years and have never had a problem, I think it depends from person to person though I know its not advisable to use any woodchips as bedding for animals as they too can be irritated by the wood. I constantly get asked if people can have the woodchips for their animals and have to decline :( however they do burn beautifully in the wood burner :D

Jutta

its bad for beding and what not because i think i have heard that it is almost attacked by bugs. i have heard that it is succesptable to insect infestations. but i think the realy good part of the tree is that it grows fast so it can bounce back from over deforestation easily.

• 6 months later...

Archived