Sergey's Bean-Pods

Mossagate

Guest ford hallam

Morning Sergei,

Don`t apologise, your English is much better than our Russian :rolleyes:

I`m sure I can speak for all of the English speakers when I say that we`re just happy you`re here and willing to communicate with us :)

regards, Ford ( little orange solidarity smiley ) :(

(Nodding in agreement smiley!)

The darkened african blackwood is due to the fine sanding and linseed oil, the oil especially. Linseed oil might keep the african blackwood black for a long time, where as a lighter weight oil might evaporate (or something like that) and allow the browns to reappear.

What are the inlay materials, Sergey?

Janel

Thank you Dick!

My English is my own not whole! :( My vocabulary spare is limited. I use electronic dictionary often to search good words for express my thoughts. Besides, I think, if i meet anybody from you all, I'm will not understand 50% that you says! :) I learning the English by itself and i haven't any possibility to hear English, only reading and writing. :rolleyes:

S

When we do meet, lets all have our electronic helpers as an aid! In the past, when I met with Japanese carvers, their electronic aids plus my pencil and paper for drawing brought much laughter into our "conversations"! Just being together rubbing elbows at the table would do a lot to further friendship, especially after years at the keyboard sharing our thoughts and knowledge!

I am so thankful that you are so daring and willing to make the communications work in English!

Janel

ps use the pearl safely, don't breath its dusts

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure that I right understand your question (my English is bad). 

The piece of African Blackwood has two colors originally. Just I sanding, polishing and I have soaked this with linseed oil. This piece is not completed while.

If my answer isn't full, please ask me again!  :(

Hi Sergey and Janel

Thank you for your replies. The Linseed oil rellay makes an impact on the timber. I never thought that the oil would darken the timber to that extent.

Still learning :rolleyes: And I wish that I could add my comments before hitting the send button!!

Cheers

Mike

Hello Mike,

You might have some options to use when you have hit that Add Reply button too soon. Look at the bottom line of the particular message window. Do you see the DELETE-EDIT-QUOTE-REPLY buttons? You could click the edit button to open that incomplete message and then continue adding your message. Delete will take it away...

I hear you- "Still learning :rolleyes: ", isn't it fun!

Janel

• 1 month later...

Wow! Those eyes and the moon add a whole new dimension to the carving. The pods have gone from a representational still-life subject to something much more decorative and precious. Great work.

I immediately thought of this link when I saw your finished beans:

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/harumi/knives/contents.html

This artists shows some amazing skill with inlay and a very playful style.

Sergey, thank you for showing us the Bean Pods-A Midnight Date! I would like to add to the history of the piece of wood... My friend, sculptural spoon carver Norm Sartorius, shared this piece of African Blackwood with me, along with many other pieces and varieties of hardwoods. He may have been the recipient of larger "scraps" from furniture makers or wood turners, and as the sharing goes, I receive "scraps" from him. It is a wonderful way to use as much of each tree as is possible.

Doug, the Harumi knives site shows a wonderful difference in approaching knife handle design. Thank you for bringing this to our attention! There is no contact information for that site, I am sorry to say.

Janel

Hi Doug,

Thank you for so interesting link! Beautiful knives and very amazing inlay!

I'm so sorry for absence contact information! I will to ask my japanese friends about.

Janel, thanks for good pieces of wood again! :) I have got enjoy in work with this wood! Please share my thanks and for Norm Sartorius at event also.

S

Sergey- the more I think about your piece, the more I see that it is successful. To me your works in the past have generally be concerned with representing a three-dimensional form, real or imaginary with your individual sense of art and style. I think this piece has something different to offer with the inlay.

The inlay has nothing representational to do with the bean pods, and is a two-dimensional surface element. At the same time, it relys on the blackness of the bean pod to create a sense of night. In effect there is a 3-D sculpture and a 2-D image in one.

In my opinion, it is very hard to integrate the two successfully. In a kagami-buta netsuke for instance, the lid is two dimensional and the bowl three, but the two are separate elements.

The inlay is not just embellishment, but stands on it's own. I think you're on to something here worth exploring.

I hope this makes sense. Anyone else?

Archived