Wooden Maori Toki

Hi,

It has been ages since I post anything here, but I have been busy fixing my van and the only other hand work I was into was "carving" wooden mug, or bowl all with hand tools like hook knife or adze. But I finally decided it was time to get back to my first interest when I came to carving, maori style. So having some wood laying around and wanted to try new technique like "tattooing" motifs on maori pendants So I carved a maori toki or adze, It was used by Maori to build canoe, cut and work wood...it is usually regarded as a symbol of power and authority. It is, also supposed to be the mark of the craftsman and artist. if I am wrong I guess someone like Billy could correct me...it was also the very first bone carving I made. As you can see the "tatoo" like motifs is far from being as flowing as I wanted, but someone has to start somewhere ;)

I used a palm v-gouge from pfeil, I have been told that chip carving technique would be more effective, that I will try on the next piece, most likely exactly the same design to compare the results.

But enough talking here are the pictures. BTW it is wild cherry, the size is about 10x2cm (3.9x0.8inch), the closing is made of a "micro-burl" of wild cherry turn into a pearl. And, last detail, this is actually the first piece where I did not use any power tool (except the closing pearl) I started chopping the cherry wood with a axe to finish by using only a knife and some sanding paper.

post-2505-0-50026000-1339090160.jpg

post-2505-0-47329600-1339090178.jpg

post-2505-0-58764200-1339090523.jpg

the brading looks good. i like the shape of the piece how long is it? have you done any knot work i k now that in alot of chineese countries have a knoted work that is for different things for example some is for luck, health ect.... ever done anything similar?

Hi Dan,

The piece is about 10X2cm. About knot work, I did some macramé (and still do-ish), some kumihimo, but did not really enjoy it, and still looking for new one for some project, but I'm not so much a knotter (Literally and figuratively....;))

perhaps some metal work maybe seting up a forge and making your own mounts in the wood with metal chains. but i have to say the woven look is nice maybe you can team up with someone who can do the weaving and you folcus on the amulet work.

what does this amulet mean does it have some significant meaning?

Hi Dan,

As far as I know, the meaning of the maori toki (or adze), it was used by Maori to build canoe, cut and work wood...it is usually regarded as a symbol of power and authority. It is, also supposed to be the mark of the craftsman and artist.

At least that's what I know about it, but I'm still learning about maori culture.

Christophe

Archived