Different Kind Of Carving

lopacki

I posted this on a bead forum that I am part of because it is a bead. In making the bead I had to carve/cut each stone to fit or it would not be what it is. Even the flat faced stone on the sides are made up of more than a few hand cut to fit pieces.

Rather than retype what I had written on the other forum I am just pasting what was said.

First Rae Bead

I have done more than a few things in the new studio, all projects finished prior to this project had all or part that had been made in my old studio. The bead below is the first item that has been fabricated entirely in the new studio

Back in February I posted a computer designed bead “Rae’s bead” well this is the first of for sure four of this style I will be making. I have a friend named Adam that is a green freak when it comes to color, when he saw the Rae bead design he asked if I could do it in Maw Sit Sit (a close cousin to Jadeite and nearly as hard.) I told him yes and below you will see the results.

I will be making a new page on my website for all of my jewelry from 2011 on. When I do this page I will include images I took while doing the silver work, I was going to post that here but got lazy. I can tell you that in order to have the silver base for the stonework it was quite an endeavor. The body of the bead consists of 12 separate pieces of silver that had to be made and then soldered together, I did four beads at once so in essence I needed to put together 48 pieces of silver. It had been many years since I did smithing this intense and was somewhat intimidated but quickly got over it once I started to do the work. All four beads came out great and this first bead with stone in it reminds me of what I have been missing in my twelve year sabbatical ......... Great to be back to what I love doing.

I posted five images of the bead so that you can see that depending on which way the bead is turned you get four distinct looks. I did one image outside in my hand to give an idea of size. The bead measures 37.6 mm 1.48 inch wide and 27 mm 1.06 inch in diameter. Stone used Maw Sit Sit Lemon Chrysoprase (Citron Magnesite) and Sugilite with the Sugilite being the softest.

This project is not yet done, I have to make a removable hanger so that the wearer can wear it either vertical or horizontal. I also have to weave/knit a silver chain for it. When I get this done and have the bead ready to ship I will post it in the complete version.

Thw weird black spots and lines on the silver work are reflections from my light box.

All my best ... Danny

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

1.jpg

Wow, that is beautiful. I am very impressed that is certainly something I would think to purchase. I can imagine how much patience and tact it would take to get each of those individually carved pieces to fit to perfectly. What kind of tools did you use?

Bella,

I use so many tools in doing this type of work you might get tired of reading the list. I will list a few 4 and 6 inch lapidary saws, 6 inch flat lap, Foredom with vairous diamond burrs, homemade wooden diamond polishing wheels ......... This is just some needed for the stone work. On the silver part jewelers saw, disc cutter, dapping block, two different torches, buffing machine, a watch makers lathe and more. Sometime this fall I will psot images of all of the benches I have in the studio and I will do my best to tell everyone what each is used for.

All my best ...... Danny

Kurt,

I usually use a base color and then do my best to use other colors that work well with the main color. Most times I do not have much trouble but once in awhile it will take digging through many stones before I am happy with the color choices.

I do not have the new page on the site as of yet but there are four pages of my older work starting at this link http://www.lopacki.com/art/ just scroll down the page for the links to each page.

All my best ..... Danny

Thanks Danny,

Yes you always had a very good eye for colorcombinations.

I was wondering though about the apperant singular offset Chrysoprase section.

As you know; here in Asia, we are playng a lot of numbergames, so I thought there might be a spezific reason for this section not to be opposite the Sugilite.

By the way, are you in contact with Kenneth? Have not seen him here for a while. Hope he is OK.

Give him my best, we still remember him on TaoGem, and I go back to his tutorials more often these days as I try to advance.

Best regards, Kurt

Kurt,

The reason for the single stone was to break up the green, I think if left all green it would have lost some of its kick.

All my best ....... Danny

P.S. Have not heard from Kenneth in quit awhile ....... I should give him a call and then give a report here.

Kurt,

The reason for the single stone was to break up the green, I think if left all green it would have lost some of its kick.

:D:lol::D Exactly the reason why we excuse ourselves with the numbergame! (or something goes bust) :)

Archived