Antler Carver . New Here

Bruce Bird

Hello everyone. My name is Bruce Bird. My passion is carving, I used to work in leather as a saddle maker and carved leather using my own carving patterns .For the last 8 years I have been carving moose antler. If you wish to see what I do please go to brucebirdantlercarving .com

Right now I am starting to also carve mammoth ivory and stone . My other main interest is gardening.

Old hand tools are also right up there . I am looking forward to sharing my knowledge and learning new things .

Bruce

Hi Dan

I do like the Master Carver. The name is kinda corney but the grinder sure works fine . Today I was carving some ivory with it and as long as your bits are sharp the grinder will go all day . I do like the chuck in the hand piece . Instead of using collets . It has a reverse that I used when I was carving some soap stone so the dust was thrown away from me instead of in my face .

Hope this helps

Bruce

Actually. With the reverse I can use it in my classroom and any kids that are left handed can use it. Part of why I'm buying it that and the price difference com paired to some others I'll mostly use with wood and j plan on getin a down draft table. Do you have a reciprocating attachment?

Hi Dan

No I do not use a reciprocating attachment . Please beware of the bits getting caught in clothing and brakeing the inner shaft in the hand piece . A leather apron helps . Also a leather glove for protection . Kids will be kids .

Bruce

good thoughts ill plan on that eventuality geting a carving knife glove and thumb guard for my flex chip knives, I already cut myself twice just triming up some wistles.will the mastercarver work for chewing up a large surface? so i can remove larger areas or is it better to use it for small decorations?

Hi Dan

The Mastercarver can take a 1\4 inch shaft bit in the chuck . Plenty of power there for chewing up a large surface pretty quick . I also use very tiny bits for fine work. the hand piece is not too large. Do let the bit cut the wood without too much pressure .New sharp bits are the key .

Bruce

Archived