Tea Stained Scotty Dog

Duncs

Hello All,

Being New to this site and carving in general, I have posted most of my previous projects in the who's who section under 3 Australian style posts........... Here is a little Scottish Terrier I made yesterday for the old ladies birthday pressie, I stained him in tea then sanded the outside for extra hair affect. Does any one think it (and the others for that matter) would benefit with some sort of sealer or buffing? I have never experimented with different finishings and would greatly appreciate your opinions. Its carved out of Cow bone using a dremel and about 35mm by 25mm....... Cheers

post-3312-0-06500000-1339650223.jpg

post-3312-0-59987500-1339650225.jpg

post-3312-0-32264600-1339650228.jpg

post-3312-0-87064500-1339650230.jpg

Very cool man. I expecially like the ears for some reason. I agree with Dan, the head tilt was a nice touch.

How do you and others get a good stand on your pieces....Is it simply leaving extra material on the feet and grinding down until level?

Hey Guys,

In regards to the head tilt, I tend to carve as big as the thickness of the bone will allow, so in order for me to get the ears the right size I have to tilt the head to follow the circular shape of the bone which gives a kind of dog curious look? This is only the second dog I have carved so by no means am I an expert in the matter...... To get an animal to stand without falling over I usually leave a small amount of extra depth in the feet and when I'am all happy with the per-portions and sizing i will see which direction it wants to fall to and sand the feet on a flat surface like the bench until its balance is right, this is best left until last as changing its shape will change its balance.

Thanks for your comments.

Archived