Presentation

Janel

Hello all,

I've been wrangling with how to package my carvings, for want of a better use of terms. I make a pouch of ultra suede, but for most pieces that is it for the long run. At a show, I use a thin cardboard foldable box with tissue paper to get the piece home with padding, but the box is tacky.

A few special pieces have had wonderful hand-made boxes created by a paper maker, lined inside and out with a lovely Italian fabric/paper combination, I make the clasp for the closure.

Presentation boxes used for the storage and protection of my carvings is a very appealing idea, but I have not managed to find a wood box provider yet. I also wonder what others of us do for safekeeping and aesthetically pleasing presentation.

Some questions:

What does anyone else use to protect the work?

Do you have presentation boxes made for the individual pieces, do you make them yourselves?

Are you willing to post your sources for presentation boxes?

Is one material better than another for long term storage, any cautions or suggestions?

Thanks for your considerations with this topic.

Janel

Hi Janel,

I ship pieces to shows all over. I made these boxes to hold my pieces while shipping. I have also made some as presentation boxes for pieces I have sold. I have also made pouches to go inside the boxes. These are cardboard covered with fabric. I just cut out all of the pieces I need and lay them out on the fabric using spray glue to hold them together. The fabric acts as a hinge. Ribbon, leather, shoelace or whatever you like works as a tie. They are strong and last forever. They look good to the people unpacking the exhibit and look professional. These are lined with foam rubber cut out to hold each medal. One medal per box. I spray glue a photograph and title on the top of each box so exhibitors know what goes where. The boxes in the picture have been to shows all around the US, Japan, Poland, Paris and London and are still in good shape. I only have to replace the photos on the lids. Each box takes about 15 min. to make. I taught bookbinding so those are the techniques used for the construction. I hope this helps.

Dick

post-15-1126541592.jpg

Guest ford hallam

Hi Dick,

those large medallions of yours look a bit like ancient Bronze mirrors, in a good way :rolleyes: and the pine and rocks? is this a little peek at part of your Japanese garden?

Regards, Ford ( nosey smiley )

Hi Ford,

Thank you, I never thought of it but they do look like mirrors don't they. Yes it is a Japanise garden. We have several around the house. I love the way the Japanese have gardens tucked everywhere possible. What amazed me the most was seeing front steps lined with beautiful old bonsai trees when walking early in the morning. In Japan beauty raises it's head everywhere. I can't wait to go back.

Dick

Archived