New Australian Member

SueB

Hello Everyone, I have just joined up and want to introduce myself. I am looking forward to being inspired to greater carving from all your wonderful talent I have seen here.

I am a recently retired Art Teacher and dean of the Visual Art department. I have sculpted in Clay, wood and other media for amny years but not so much in small format. I have decided that smaller will be better as I can take it with me on my travels around this great country when I am fossicking for rocks.

I am a keen fossicker and I also work with glass and paint a bit so like to go where the muse takes me. Isn't retirement just wonderful? :D I wake up in the morning and think to myself now what will I do today? And there is always something. :wub:

I recently brought a small cottage with a shop attached in South Western Victoria not far from the Great Ocean Road and I have renovated the shop into my studio with a small gallery at the front. I live in a small village of a dozen homes so am not planning on more than a few exhibitions or open studios a year , that way I get to travel , to 'play, and to share my work when I want to and not be tied to opening hours.

My subject matter is mainly natural/organic forms in a a impressionistic manner.Most of my images are way over the limit for this forum so I will have to begin a new file with reduced size pics sometime soon.

This is one of my fun found object sculptures. head and base are carved in Redgum.

post-3324-0-91250000-1341011862.jpg

Hi SueB

Welcome from Tamworth NSW AU, great to have another Aussie here, more the merrier, I carve most gemstones, but would say jade and chrysoprase are my favorites, I also love fosicking, my area is a treasure house of gems. Jade, rhodonite, prase, just to name a few, went rock hounding in the Nundle area today, hope to see more of your work.

Cheers michael B

Wonderful to meet you Sue. Sounds like you have a wonderful lifestyle to enjoy in your retirement. I'm a kiwi based in Sydney. I mainly carved bone and stone for adornment or small scale sculpture and weapons. Hope you enjoy your time on TCP, and learn from the many great people on this site. Billy

Thanks for the welcome folks. :)

Michael, Nundle is a favorite area of mine from years ago. I almost brought an owner built stone house up the top of the mountain there once. Was never sure exactly where to fossick so didn't have any great finds there myself. I would like to buy some rhodonite to carve after seeing some work online - any hints for a good source?

Billy I believe there are some wonderful carving stones in NZ too - hope to visit one day to see for myself - and then won't my baggage be overweight!! :)

Archived