Sign in to follow this  
Quinn

Rainbow Obsidian Spirit Mask Carving

Hello everyone. Just thought I'd share a new piece I finished recently. It has a definite presence!

This Rainbow Obsidian Spirit Mask Carving measures approximately 9" x 6" x 3" and weighs 7 LBS.

I hand-mined the material from northern California, then hand-carved/shaped it, and hand-polished it.

The star-shaped pattern is the backside of the carving.

post-2822-0-97545300-1341890211.jpg

post-2822-0-37312100-1341890223.jpg

post-2822-0-69268300-1341890235.jpg

post-2822-0-16640100-1341890248.jpg

post-2822-0-47772400-1341890261.jpg

post-2822-0-75260200-1341890275.jpg

Quinn,

Great mask carving. It seem that you figured out how to polish your stone glad to see your work.

This new image posting made me overlook three of your images .............. The back is wonderful and the whole piece will make a perfect display that can be seen from all sides.

All my best ... Danny

Hi Quinn,

I've never seen anything like this. I can imagine the power he would bring into a room.

Did the natural patterns guide you in the shaping of his face, like in his cheeks and nose?

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Hi Quinn,

Wow, great work! I have never tried anything that large. I have not carved rainbow obsidian from California, but I have carved rainbow obsidian from Mexico and it had soft spots making it a chore. Did you have any problems with soft areas?

Thank you, Ken

Thanks everyone, and particularly Daniel, for all the advice, and good quality diamond products.

This was carved on a foredom using course and 360 grit diamond carving burrs.

The carving bits and diamond powder I used during the polishing process were from www.lopacki.com

Tom, yes definitely, the color patterns that are brought out as I remove material greatly affect the final shaping of the piece. I was lucky in a lot of ways on this one, and i was particularly surprised/delighted/creeped out when the eyes came out looking as if I had actually conjured some sort of an entity into the stone and trapped it there... It has that look like it's alive sometimes.

Ken, the material I'm working with has a few fractures around the perimeter of the boulder, but I use an angle grinder to grind those out first until I'm left with a solid piece of stone. Once I get to that point there are usually no soft spots. I have noticed that some of the color layers are slightly softer than others, resulting in uneven sanding, If you want to carve a piece I have plenty of material available.

Hi Quinn.

Wow it does really look alive! Well done, it's a beautiful piece. Love the colors and what you did at the back.

I'm trying to figure out how you could have done the eyes but it remains a mystery (I've never carved stone before). How did you make them so transparent?

Charlotte

Hi Quinn.

I was so taken by this carving when I first saw it a few days ago I literally tripped over my computer and broke the power plug :((

It's a stunning carving in material I've never seen in that size. The pattern and color in the OB is superb and the way the eyes came out is remarkable. It has a power and beauty that can't be put into words.