Bluebird

Mark Strom

I haven't posted or visited the forum much and when I have it has been a quick view. It has been a busy year so far which is great. Mostly been doing chainsaw carving which is not exactly right for this forum.

This is one of three small pieces I recently finished. Measurements are approximately 7" x 12" carved in basswood. This is the first carving I have ever added any true color to. Most have been earth tones so I decided to try to get further out of the comfort zone. The background is several different stains while the bird and branch have been done with a mix of artist oils with a glaze medium, acrylics and watercolors.

Hope you enjoy it.

Mark

www.stromcarver.com

post-727-0-63036000-1343268867.jpg

Hi Mark!

Thank you for sharing this little beauty with us. It is remarkable that you can shift from chain saw work to such work that requires delicate control with knife and brush.

You have succeeded in amazing me again with your work. The use of color suits this portrait of the Bluebird and gray fencepost and is effective in showing the bright joy that one feels when seeing the real birds in the field. I enjoy the subtleties in the post and background. And, I wish that I could see this one in person.

I look forward to seeing what this leads you into doing in the future.

Janel

Thanks Janel and Cat. This has been a great exploration for me. There are just so many things that come into play and the thought process for carving and painting are so totally different.

I am hoping the next risk pays off...I loved the carving on its own but decided to take a huge risk and apply color. I posted the original carving on this sight a while back. If it comes out well I will post it again...wish me luck.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I always understood the quality and the amount of technique needed in your past pieces, but this one.....left me speechless. Truely beautiful. Everything is coming into place, the grey color of the branch, the colors of the bird and the background....woaw, congratulations. I will keep an eye on your next piece ;)

Christophe

Thanks for all the support.

The project I am working on looks like it is going south. Might have to recarve most of it, I had to try just to see where the limits are. I will post pictures regardless with a before and after. If it stinks then there will be another go at after it is reworked.

Stave

Archived