Edo Craft

Janel

Hello all,

For want of a better place to put this I've posted here. I came across an interesting web site today: http://www.edocraft.com

My entry to the site was through an interview with an artist/craftsman, then I went to the home page, read a brief bit about Edocraft's owner and shop master :lol: , recommended early on in your look at the site. Further down the page, there is a Product Directory, which first goes to a list of craftsmen and products, but from there you can go to a page of what the person makes and from there you can go to an extensive interview with the craftsman. This site alone would take many days to read about all of the people who make the products offered, which are made by hand. I find this resource fascinating!

I have not looked everywhere, but have enjoyed the interview of Mr. Masao Nakanishi - Edo Sashimono Factory , and a brief look at the tools section.

This is quite a web site in my opinion!

Janel

Guest ford hallam

Morning Janel and all,

It`s somewhat timely that you`ve posted a link to these craftsmen, I`m finally off to Japan next Thursday,( after too many delays! :lol: ) and on my itinery was a visit to the file maker. I`ve always fancied a set of hand made files like that. I don`t think they are particularly expensive at all. When I get back I`ll let you know how they perform.

sayonara,

Ford B)

Green with envy smiley!

Was the filemaker the one you are hoping to visit?

Can anyone explain single cut, triple cut, (rasp I can imagine). What is chequering and would you know what the #3 nd #7 mean? When left handed is mentioned, are the file cuts created in the opposite direction from the other files?

I wonder if there is a fine enough cut that resembles the fine little jewelers files I use when refining cuts and little places? Perhaps there are, in the last group for precious metal...

Your report on the tool maker you do visit is being looked forward to, Ford! I do wish you a very good time spent in Japan!

Janel

You know the ones I want Ford: for banjo making! :lol:

Checkering is parallel rows of teeth on the file, to cut parallel lines one way, and then another in two intersecting directions. This forms small diamond(or squares) shaped "checkers" either for ornamentation or gripping as on firearms stocks or tool handles.

Guest ford hallam

Hey Jim, those would be the reverse inverted left-handed banjo files, I assume B)

Yes Janel, the file maker is the man I was planning on seeing. I found his site some time ago, I did`nt post a link as I thought I`d check them out first. Then there were the Delays :lol: .....

thanks for all the good wishes I`ll send you ( this forum ) a note from Tokyo if i can find an internet cafe.

regards, Ford

Archived