Carved Holly Tray

Jim Kelso

A few years ago I was driving home from town and a wild rabbit or hare ran into my wheels. It happened so fast I had no time to react. Boom!… and he was off to the next world. This is a tray with carving dedicated to him(her?).

The wood is Holly. There is a lovely bit of figure in the upper right suggestive of some vibrational destination or source. Close-ups to follow.

post-4-0-31535600-1344510946.jpg

Lovely idea, and very stylish execution (did I just say that out loud to a master-artisan?).

Destination my carrot-garden?

How did you get the grass? By pressing or sanding?

I'm sure that it must look very inviting to explore in person.

Always greatly enjoy your exploits, Kurt

Thanks very much Kurt & Janel. Kurt, what you see as grasses, I intended to represent a swirling ghostly aspect. I like that it appears to you as grasses! It was carved and sanded smooth where it is not just lines.

Janel I settled on Renaissance wax. Apparently the wood was quick kiln dried to avoid blueing that can occur.

Here are some more photos.

37 x 13 cm

post-4-0-27017400-1344598782.jpg

post-4-0-63748600-1344598796.jpg

post-4-0-73453900-1344598820.jpg

Hi Jim,

It always struck me how your simplistic approach can convey so much....Hope this doesn't sound offensive, I don't mean that your work is simple, but how with few lines you always evoque so much....bref, Really enjoy your work, is what I really mean ;)

Take Care

Christophe

I really appreciate your homage to this little creature in this particular shape. Less is more...? Very nice! With it's origin in mind I looked at that figure in the right hand corner and it came to me it's you, it's your car just moments before the event?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived