TCP Travellers

Janel

Hello all!

:lol: It seems that several of us are departing for places far from home in the next few weeks. Sorry to be leaving the rest of you behind!

The last week of September I am going to San Francisco to attend the International Netsuke Society Convention. http://www.netsuke.org and follow the links to convention information to learn more. Then on the way back, a visit with my dad in Arizona for a few days. I will try to log in when near a computer which is connected to the internet!

The members of The Carving Path who are remaining home, it is up to you to keep the ball rolling here. It is your time to stir the pot, take off in new directions with your contributions! Have some fun! Learn or teach, but keep it going please!

Happy travels to some and enjoy the autumn to those who remain home to enjoy it!

Janel

Janel and gang,

the Netsuke conference in San Francisco caught my eye a few months back because I live in the area and was excited by the prospect of dropping in for a day and checking it out. Does anyone know if they allow visitors, i.e. not contributors to walk around and take a look?

I love the idea of getting to see some of the work presented but the price is prohibitive for just a 'drop-in'. It's such a tease to have this conference right next to my door and not be able to take a peek :lol:

And, Janel, how long are you going to be in the area? Are you just over for the conference?

Cheers

_t

Hi toscano,

I'll arrive Sunday September 25, stay that night with a friend in Berkely, be involved with the convention from Monday through Saturday sometime, Saturday night stay with a friend in West SF and Sunday fly away.

A couple of TCP members are attending the convention, and another TCP member lives in SF and is hoping to meet us and see the netsuke. I have sent an email to the event coordinator to learn about the guest policy for the dealer's room(s), and will post a response here.

E-mail me privately, and I will give you my contact number for when I am in SF. I'll be seeing my netsuke carving chums on Monday while they are setting up in the dealer's rooms. Have a look at the INS web site http://www.netsuke.org and click on the link for info about the convention. The dealer's room open hours are posted there.

One of our TCP members from England arrives Wednesday afternoon. I have no way of knowing if there is a better day than another for a TCP member gathering until we are in SF. Whether or not unregistered guests are admitted to the dealer's rooms, it would be interesting to try to meet one another around a table for some conversation.

More later about this. Thanks for asking!

Janel

Good news from the netsuke convention organizer! I will be permitted to bring in one or two guests into the dealer's room to see the netsuke. Sounds like we can move ahead on that part of the plan!

Please contact me privately for exchanging contact information. Do that by clicking on my underlined name by the avatar, and on my member page, click on the sending email option.

My hope is to have a TCP members gathering on Wednesday or Thursday (Sept 28 - 29), perhaps for lunch, and then go into the dealer's room for a good look at the little lovlies and meet the exhibiting carvers.

Janel

Open for interpretation:

Dear Janel:

I have no objection to you personally bringing a guest or two into the

exhibition room to see the netsuke. They would need to be accompanied

by a dealer or yourself.

Marsha Vargas

Does "you personally" mean only I have the permission? If so, I'll walk in with you and guest :lol:. And, perhaps it will be on a day that the other TCP folks are not there?

I imagine that things will work out fine. They just do not want droves of outsiders present. The dealers are trying to sell to knowledgable collectors, after all.

Janel

Hello all!

:lol: It seems that several of us are departing for places far from home in the next few weeks.  Sorry to be leaving the rest of you behind!

Janel

I too am leaving this Thursday for New York Town to show the new box. (presuming it's finished).

It's going to be down to the wire on the box. So less time for forum activity.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the convention on Thursday, heard Susan Wraight and saw many wonderful pieces. Had time to talk to Susan, Nick Lamb and Lynn Richardson. It was well worth the trip. However, I was very disappointed that the leactures were set up overlapping each other. They had five separate lectures at the same time and they did not repeat. That was very disappointing.

russell

:D:P

I am in Arizona now, visiting with my dad! Earlier today, I visited with Merle Saylan, woodturner from Marin County, CA. She sent some wood with me! I was curious about the persimmon tree wood she had pruned and saved a while ago. It is not a single color, but is more dark than light. The wood felt good when I gave the it a jab with a gouge. (The suit case got inspected at the airport. It might have been the wood or the prize winning iris corms I picked up at the Marin County Farmer's Market this morning...) It was a nice day for relaxing with friends before continuing my journey.

Netsuke daydreams from the exposure to the old and new carvings are still rippling through my brain. It would be great to pick up some tools and get to work!

One of the workshops at the netsuke convention was about Iwami, Japan. When I am rested and more able to string thoughts together, I'll write more about that in another topic, and describe the work of the Iwami netsuke carvers.

Janel

I was gobsmacked!

Some fantastic pieces on show at the International Netsuke Society convention in SF. Numbering into certainly well over 1000 on display, both antique and contemporary and everything in between. Very generous dealers allowing us newbies (without a trust fund, I might add) handle, examine and photograph the pieces.

After seeing a number of carvings illustrated in exhibit and auction catalogs over the years, to be able to hold them was insightful to say the least. (btw, saw your kagamibuta, Jim- the one in the antler bowl with the spider theme- illustrated in the Minneapolis exhibit catalog a few years back)

There were times when I wanted to go home and throw out my chisels, other times when I wanted to leave the show, go home and get to work!

I cleaned up my studio/spare bedroom last night, in a physical/artistic cleaning sort of way. This is the kick in the pants I've need that past 1/2year or so.

Had the pleasure of meeting Janel, Toscano, Robert Weinstock.... and Clive too (plus others who look in on the list from time to time)

My grant money was well spent, plus I didn't expect it, but sold a few pieces the night the public met the carvers.

-Doug (overwhelmed, still digesting smiley)

I've been meaning to write about my experience of the Netsuke convention in SF, but have alas been under a huge pile of work :( ever since.

It now seems that I have even more than I thought :blink: and while I can follow the forum from a distance I shan't be able to post more thoughts till next week.

For now let me thank Janel and Doug for getting me in the exhibitors' room and holding my hand during the whole afternoon :)

It was also great to meet all the carvers and get to spend an evening with them, seeing some of their work, talking to them about their craft/art...

One afternoon was definitely a lot and not enough at the same time.

A lot to take in, but my greedy, hungry mind wanted to see more (Clive, apologies for not making it over the bridge a second evening; the aforementioned workload).

All in all a beautiful day in the city B)

-t

Thanks for the good words about your day with us! We enjoyed your company as well.

For the membership, this is in regards to the small group of TCP members who met for lunch last Wednesday, followed by a long look at the netsuke in the dealer's room at the International Netsuke Society convention in San Francisco. All present were Doug Sanders, Robert Weinstock, Toscano and myself. I'm sorry that we didn't know of anyone else from the TCP membership who might have been able to join us.

The next INS convention will be in or near Miami, late January or early February 2007. Any members over that way yet?

Janel

Archived