Love (Tea) Spoon

Debora B

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit nervous to show you my first love spoon ever, cos you folks out here show some amazing stuff and the standard is breathtakingly high. Intimidating sometimes, but i wanna learn from you all. The work and spoons here inspired me to have a go at a spoon too.

It's a small one, for a Canadian electrician. I found it hard to come up with a good design, and it's still not something i'm totally satisfied with. This first spoon has taught me that the stem and shape of the handle are so restricted, it asks for a certain vision and approach. It felt like trying to create a 3D image in almost 2D... ? Anyway, something to focus on next time.

It's made of Pear and finished with Danish Oil and a coat of clear Briwax. I've made a leather storage box (book) to go with.

IMG_5346.JPG

IMG_5347.JPG

IMG_5369.jpg

IMG_5349.jpg

IMG_5366.JPG

IMG_5350.JPG

IMG_5351.JPG

IMG_5352.JPG

IMG_5354.JPG

IMG_5361.JPG

IMG_5362.JPG

Hope it's not to much pics, but it has so many angles. I'd fun making it, and i hope you like it too.

Debora,

That first spoon is wonderful. You have carved the various and complex elements successfully. And all this from a single piece of wood! The perception that the leaf was pierced by the handle of the spoon, and that the entwined hearts are snagged on the zigzag handle are very nicely done. Straight where straight needs to be, and curved smoothly in the curves. Congratulations!

And then the box. Are you already a book maker? It is also very nicely done!

The photos are great and well sized for the forum. Thank you.

Janel

Thank you all for taking the time to comment. It's very much appreciated. Although you may like the design i struggled to keep it balanced. I'm new to spoons and read a little bit into the history and meaning of 'm. It's not just to show your love for someone and/or to celebrate an occasion, it's said it's used to show one's skills in carving at the same time too. The "ball in cage" theme etc. "Aah!" i thought, "now there's a challenge to come up with something applicable".

So my initial intend was to create two loose but intertwining hearts around a lightning bolt. But that would mean they could end up hanging round the lower spoon part. Didn't like to have to much "weight" and attention round that part but neither could i come up with an idea to hold them up higher along the bolt to keep the balance with the top leave. I settled for less intricate but keeping them where i wanted 'm; attached halfway to the bold. A compromise but a learning curve as well. As it always will be, i guess.

In answer to your question Janel; I'm trained as a graphic designer and that got me into bookbinding and restoration too. A dying trade sad to say, due to digitization and the cost of hand labour. But very handy as a supplementing skill when it comes to making (traveling) boxes etc.

As for the pics, i'm glad i found a way to post, and at the same time take into account the restrictions of dial up connections to the internet, as some of you forum members have.

Hello Debora,

I think that the attached hearts might be a greater challenge than two loose hearts, considering that the lightning bolt would need to retain its straight through lines. Thank you again for sharing this sweet spoon with us. I admire all that you are doing.

Janel

Just a little hard on yourself but then again we all are...keeps you honest and moving forward. I think the design and execution is outstanding. The dilemmas you explain make sense to me but you overcame them gracefully. Again, beautiful work and I look forward to seeing your next piece.

Stave

Hi! I just got back from a little holiday, so a little late... but thanks for taking the time to comment.

@ Janel, I suppose you could be right there. I never looked at it that way, but then again, i've never tried to carve two loose objects. I did have a go at a ball in cage just previous to this. It was a real fun to get to the stage where it became loose. And yes, so true, then it was just a matter of clearing everything up and/or straightening out.

Archived