Honu

Borjitsu

Sincere congratulations! I haven't sold much of anything. I did get paid for lettering a brass plaque but I did such a poor job I felt guilty taking the money.

So, for what it's worth..... My suggestion is to study and strive while you carve. Your skill and tool pallet will increase with each project. Most important thing is to carve.

It's also important to ask for critiques. It's hard on the ego sometimes but without other artist perspectives we'll remain ignorant of our artistic weaknesses.

As an artist I always try and base my art on real world observations. For example if I was to carve your sea turtle I'd gather photos of real sea turtles and spend some time with a sketch pad drawing various details and perspectives. I avoid using other carvings or drawings as a reference as they all pale compared to Mother Nature. I do study other carvings but I'm looking at how they carved rather than what they carved.

John

hey great feel proud you well on your way just practise your skill it will come always try to improve on your neck work and now your work is out there wont be long till some say where did you get that neck and they will say you and you will get more people wanting your stuff keep it up dont lose the fath in your work and keep have ing fun doing it all the best and welcome to the club of those that have some they frist bone carving

• 2 months later...

If your not asking your dentist for some used burrs you should as they only use them once are trained to sterilize them before you get them and they are small.smaller and smallest and really well made and many are diamond so you have all the options from marble, bone wood and all the soft mat's with the carbide up to nephrite, agate, quartz crystal, ruby et al, with the diamond and they are free usually... esp if you're a patient.Jules

Archived