Hello From A First Timer

Mike B

Hello everyone. This is the third or fourth forum I've joined looking for some help with cutting/polishing some fire agate I collected at Opal Hill mine in Wiley Well, CA. So far I've gotten some great tips but I see that there are some amazing artists on this forum that I hope can help me along. Like I said in my topic, this is my first attempt at cutting/carving/polishing. I am currently rough cutting using a dremel with diamond bits; 180, 200, and 600 grit. After reading some of the posts here and through tips i gathered from other forums, I plan to polish my pieces using bamboo with diamond powder and oil going from 300, 600, 1200, 3600, 14000, and maybe 50000. I think it would be best for me if I will start a post documenting my progress from start to finish and hopefully get tips from all of you along the way. The link below will take you to my fire agate shown wet. I look forward to chatting with you all.

Mike

http://www.photobucket.com/fireagate

Thanks aldoi. I think the thrill of finding fire after carefully grinding a piece is only matched by the heartache of blowing through that fire by cutting too much. Its been the most exciting and frustrating thing I've done besides golf. Good luck with your pieces and I hope you better success.

Mike,

If you do a search "lopacki" you will find many posts by me, there are a few regarding Fire Agate and some on polishing. I think I put up the polish set up I use for Fire Agate but do not have the time right now to look at all of my posts.

If you are using burrs to 600 mesh there is no reason to go back to 360 when you start to do final polishing.

There are about two hundred cut stones at this link from my website that you might find interesting.

http://www.lopacki.com/stone/facab/

All my best ........ Danny

post-2604-0-97051700-1349191608.jpg

post-2604-0-33670100-1349191628.jpg

Danny,

I've been a hugh fan of your work ever since I discovered your website about 4 months ago. Since then I've spent a ton of time looking at the pics and reading just about everything on your site and quite a few of your posts here in this forum. I plan to start posting my progress with pics shortly and hope you along with others would help me hone my skills. Below are two pics of pieces I am working on. The "seahorse" is my first attempt at carving. The second is one that I am just starting to see some green. Is this the point at which I begin polishing or do I expose the color more. This is where I get stuck. Thanks for the reply

Mike

post-3537-0-96528900-1349229882.jpg

post-3537-0-62521000-1349229943.jpg

Mike,

As you will learn when you have a stone like the upper one there is such a thin fire layer it is almost impossible to get anywhere close to the fire. In your second stone I would keep skinning away from the center green out, as this is a tiny stone I presonally would be using a 10X eye loupe while doing this. Sometimes on this type stone there will only be the little bit of the green in the center all you can do is try to expose more as you work your way out.

All my best ... Danny

Archived