The first carver?

Jim Kelso

Woodsman's thoughts in Who's Who made me think of this beaver carving I chanced upon a few weeks ago. I came upon it rather suddenly scrambling up out of a stream-bed and before my mind could start analyzing it, my first impression was that whoever did it, had a fun time. There's also something about the whole package: the chips, the leaning against the rock ledge, the de-barking down to the ground that is quite pleasing aesthetically. I know, I know musn't anthropomorphisize(?) the poor little beasties, but there it is nonetheless. :lol:

post-4-1127092072.jpg

Guest Woodsman

I closed my eyes, and saw a stump of a very old and knotted tree, and there at the base of the stump where the trunk joins the rooted earth, was a single eye looking out. The single eye was as old as the tree and it opened. I feel that if we love with enough honesty and innocence, and are open to the natural world around us and do no harm, we can explore a very deep part of our whole being; we are brought here to be together, where we can feel at one with everything else. But really, there is nowhere nature cannot be explored in the mind's eye, as always, we just have to see, first. And why else would we see, if not to feel these deep-rooted connections? Peace, John

Archived