Greetings From Salt Lake.

Steve0

Hello all. During a recent web search for carving jade, an image came up with the TCP linked to it and here I landed.

As I get settled in and start posting, I'll certainly include images of what has found its way to light from underneath my toils and tools. Right now I'm on my iPad and for some reason :-( I'm unable to insert pics from my Imageshack account directly into forums but can easily from the laptop or Mac at the office.

So for now just the intro. I enjoy carving almost any material I get my hands on. Mostly stone, bone, antler, wood, horn and some metals. Many of my efforts reflect my interest in ancient cultures, oceanic arts, and the like. Pics to come asap!

Steve

Thanks for the welcome. Here's a couple. Hopefully, the adage " imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" applies here and my efforts are not seen as a misappropriation of culture to which a paheka like me is not entitled.

heimanaiamatau.jpg

trayoftikis.jpg

The hei manaia matau is a personal favorite and goes with me when I fish or travel. The style emulates Shane McIntosh's with a bit of creativity on my part.

Steve

I'm sure your efforts are well received and simply shows how much you like and respect the culture. I would advise to be careful when copying someone else's unique style. Hei matau and Tiki I don't think anyone can stake claim to, but more unique designs that some carvers spend many years developing, can sometimes be looked at as plagiarism. The fact you have acknowledged the original carver goes a long way towards easing any ill feeling from the artist.

So having said that, nice work :)

I would also like to point out that the term 'Pakeha' as I'm sure you meant, in its truest sense of the word, was a name given to the early settlers in New Zealand and to their descendants. It is not a broad term for anyone in the world with European heritage, or not Maori. Having said that, perhaps you are a descendant?

Anyway. Keep up the nice work. Billy.

Archived