Beautiful work and so nicely finished! I've wanted to make one of those for a long time but have been put off by the thought that, perhaps some kind of musical ability is needed to make one that works. If it isn't then your work has inspired me to add it to my list of things to attempt. Did you obtain some reliable plans for the mechanical side of things?

You can make them without playing them. I can't play it myself...

Having said that, I do play quite a number of other instruments, though. As to the plans, I have gone by a rather flawed German plan, published some 20-30 years ago. I had to change quite a few details.And the trompette (the rattling bridge, that gives h-g-ies their rhytmic capability) is a different design altogether, it's taken from normal Hungarian-type h-g-ies. A year ago I was in Hungary, and visited a friendly maker, so I could take notes on details of construction.

By the way, the carving is not something particularly encouraged on the keybox lid. It must be really shallow and smooth, not to impede the free movement of the hand along it. There aren't many with carving, ususlly it's either undecorated, or painted/inlaid.

Thank you for the information Yuri. Your hurdy gurdy would be really something great to see and handle even without the carving but the carving sets it off for me as an exceptionally attractive piece. I can see the whole thing would require quite a bit of research but be very rewarding.

What a beautiful instrument! Your partner must be very pleased with it.

My spouse asked a crossword puzzle question the other night regarding the hurdy-gurdy. I cannot remember the clue, but the answer was "rota". I could not completely describe this kind of instrument so that he would understand, so after seeing your photo this morning, I found a few youtube videos to illustrate the description. Fascinating and complex and simple all at once.

Thank you for showing us this beauty.

Janel

Archived