Mask Carving

Dan

hey im thinking of geting into mask carving like noh masks of asia.

not realy sure how to begin but i want to start thinking of dust collection. in alot of the past posts most people use small hoses or dest top boxes for carving but they are usualy carving small pieces or boxes. i want to carve larger stuff but i have to keep the dust to a minimum. i will most likely work with power carving tools as that is what im more drawn to and feel more comfortable working with. at least initialy and as i spend more time carving ill buy knives and gouges for the job at hand. but because ill be working with burrs ill be producing alot more dust. if im making larger stuff then how should i contain and suck up the dust form my carving burrs? should i get a bench top air purifier or would it be wiser to build a hood and just hook up a 1 1/2hp dust collector to it as well as a few other tools in my work space? i want to keep the space as clean as possible because its in a fully furnished basement and i live in the living space of the basement. any idea's or thoughts on dust collection for a work bench that is 2 feet by 3 feet?

on a side note i am currently working on a work bench that i can install a vise onto that way i can hold wood for tradition work bench use. but i can also set up my metal vise in the wood vise and carvers vise, hand saw miter guide, bench hooks ect..... once my work bench is completed i can realy hold wood securly for carving.

nice set up billy but its looks prity small perfect for small stuff like bones and shells ect... but i plan on carving wood maskes or larger futniture pieces like table legs. 12-24 inches long. i had thought to get a 1 1/2 hp dust collector with a1300 cfm pull and set up so it can draw dust from 3-4 machines. that way i can also use it later in a biger shop. the actual hood i thought to take some wood and make a fold up hood that i can set up on my bench something that will be 3 feet long 1 foot wide with the dust collector hooked up on it at some kind of port. want to throw most of dust into a contained area and keep it from floating around the house.

i carve bone most days and use a basic partical mask you can buy them in a pack of 10 from your locla hardware store or check with your hardware store for a pak of 3m masks tell them what you are carving

i have a realy nice mask tony if you think bone is harsh try breathing sawdust all day.

I do believe that there are some alternative examples that might be interesting, if you look through the archives. One set up that I recall is a system that draws the dusts downwards, collecting solids in a "drawer" and the suction airs go sidewise out through the hose connected to the drawer. The table surface is an open weave metal mesh, if my memory serves me.

Another one that I have seen was by a Japanese netsuke carver. When sitting at his bench, he faces what might be a furnace filter size collector. I do not recall what drives the suction though.

Any system would need a method of depositing the solids and correctly filtering the air being returned from the finest particles if being returned into the room air. There is a variety of commercial vacuum units that will do this, some being wall mounted and can have 4" hoses that can be divided to be routed to various work stations with chutes and cut off gates. At the working end, can't think of the words... an apparatus that expands the collection area and guides the dusts to the hose opening can be sized to suit your work site. Wood turners use this, for instance. Rockler.com has some of these wall mounted smaller or larger systems, as will various other vendors.

I can't take the time to find the photos on the forum, still at the show and must get going. Let us know what you figure out for your situation.

Janel

No probs Dan. Even though I have used the 50mm pipes on top of the bench, you could simply attached 100mm pipes that suit larger work. I too do bigger pieces and simply place the area I'm working on in front of the vac.

Hope this helps. Billy.

Janel what your talking about is called a down draft table. they are great for sanding because it creates a air curtain all the way around your work piece. i would think that a flex shaft carver or small router would toss stuff too far out to be effective unless you buy or build a larger table top.

.http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21488 this might help

what i decided on doing was to take a dust collector that pulls 1300cfm and mount inside a near by closet. then stretch plastic pipes across the basement ceiling to where some of my tools will go. then i will have a couple of hose lines drop from above to where i need them on bench tops and my tools. that way i can have a huge amount of suction I know I know overkill for small space but i plan on biger later on so buy what i need for the future. going to build a fold up hood that i can store under my bench with two hose ports in it. then when i need it i can set the hood up on bench, hook my hose to the the two ports and start tearing into wood blocks.

when i finaly get the dust collector and my work bench built ill post pictures of my work space. think it might be a litte different then most that are on here. the work room/spaces i have seen on here are usualy more of just a dest or corner where people can work at. but i want to try and combine wood working, turning, carving, knife making, painting, leather work, weaving, sewing ect all my inturests.... all in one small orgainize work space.

god help me but this is both fun and frustraiting.

Archived