Greetings from Seattle

kristopher skelton

Hi everybody,

I'm new (you knew that) and Janel's email asked me to do a bit of an intro. There's not much to tell and most of it can be found at http://www.alchemyforge.net I found this site through Don Fogg's forum ( http://forums.dfoggknives.com ) when I asked about carving a knot onto a blade.

I do as much of my work as I can by hand, with simple tools. And by hand I mean my muscles doing the work, as opposed to some of the mass produced companies that sell items that are "made by hand" meaning a guy pushed a button on a machine :D I make as many of my tools as I'm able, although hammers and tongs are right out because I only have so much time I can spend in the shop.

Expect me to lurk and just soak up your carving knowledge because I have little to none to share right now :huh:

Thanks to all who give their time to answer questions and keep this site running!

Kris

Welcome, Kris!

Glad you joined us. Since you said you made many of your own tools, I have a suggestion - as you may make carving tools as you go along, how about photographing your fabrication and heat-treating steps for posting here? You may be a carving novice, but after I tripped through your web site, I'd say you're not a tool making novice. I think you may have something to contribute after all.

Good carving!

Thanks guys, good to see lots of familiar faces :)

tsterling- I'll do what I can. I wish I'd seen this earlier, I just remade a chisel that I made last night. Quite a simple affair, it's a little wider than pointed... that is, it started as a point and then I filed it to be a little wide :(

Having started as a blacksmith that's how I approach tool making. Cut a piece off of a coil spring, heat and straighten. Then draw out to a point and do a little filing while hot. reheat to "red" (like the tomoato juice for your bloody mary :D ) and quench the tip. Remove from quenchant (water) file the tip and fully quench when the color runs to the tip and makes it light straw. (pics to follow on website) Oh and compared to some of the tools I've seen in the gravers discussion, this thing is a freaking baseball bat :huh:

I certainly have a lot to learn on the tool/knife front but I'll share what I've found out. Actually, if you want to come over to Lynnwood I'll show you what I know. Should take the better part of a half hour :)

Archived