Pure Green

michael B

wow that clear jade i would try it both way for the straps but i think the best thing would be a simple silver loop with perhaps some simple knots done with the silver wire and invest in some quality silver chian. dont take away too much from the quality of the stone.

Not sure if your hole's in the right place for a traditional strapping. I would set up a bit different it I was to use a figure eight. If you can do it with this hole, I'd be interested in your technique.

I agree with Dan and far as taking away quality from the stone, but only in the fact that the strapping may cover up too much of this beautiful colour. If you can do a simple strapping, cool, but if not, perhaps Dan's suggestion is on the money.

Mick B Istudied with the most amazing Deborah Wilson and her 30 plus years of experience recommends making sanding and polishing points out of maple which worked better than the birch I was using. Charge your maple points w diamond compound and a bit of oil..THEN go for the Beelbie flow ! Which takes heat <wear leather gloves> and 12,000 dia on a hard felt buff and you have the GLOSS bro. Tread the line tho as too much heat gives calcium burns and its back too 200 <oops> . Each Jade acts differently and once you get it, its really sweet. gitadder! julesy D

Billy, it is Tamworth nephrite but not many have this quality, I found the boulder this was cut from, I have around 20lb left but not sure I will part with this, I do have other material I would sell but not like this, a great find, had samples tested by sg, in the US. Jules thanks for the tips on points, always like trying new techniques.

Cheers michael B

Billy, it is Tamworth nephrite but not many have this quality, I found the boulder this was cut from, I have around 20lb left but not sure I will part with this, I do have other material I would sell but not like this, a great find, had samples tested by sg, in the US. Jules thanks for the tips on points, always like trying new techniques.

Cheers michael B

wow 20 Lb is it all as clear as this piece? and you say you found the boulder does that mean you picked it up from the ground yourself or just bought a huge slab of it? would be cool if you found it yourself. wish i knew as much about stone to look for rocks that i can carve from my own backyard. In illinois in the U.S. there is tons of limestone. in fact alot of chicago was built from the stones near my home town. the pink limestone buildings in historical down town came from the quarry 5 mile's from home. so are there any kind of fine carving stone found in limstone rich areas? or can i expect to only find fossils of ancient fish?

Dan, I find nephrite in situe in my region at a deposit never really mined, on private land, when I found the boulder this piece was cut from it was siting next to a farmers bush track- fire trail, about 50 meters from the deposit, I told the farmer what I found it and all he wanted was a carton of beer, but I have given him and his wire several carvings from this piece, I do the right thing and he lets me go back, he has now built a huge dam right next to this deposit to keep jade mining company's away, as it is to close to the dam and the government would never let them mine, but I dig what I want. some more pics of jade I have found.

post-2986-0-64873600-1353959895.jpg

post-2986-0-15490500-1353959925.jpg

michael i hate you..............there someone had to say it :) its ok ill just stick to harvesting basswood it grows everywhere in the us. and i can get it myself from the local farmers property.

if a good price can be had i might be intuested in buying some if its cheap enough and the shiping dont kill me.

For what its worth i agree totally the woven lash adds another touch but this stone is beautiful and alot of work has gone into getting it to where it is , it seems a pity to hide the colour and also the contrast with the transluscent qualities of the stone showing off , beautiful piece Michael .

The colour that I have seen in a variety of stone claimed to have come from your neck of the woods in the rock club shows i have gone to have made me a real fan of the jade from there particularly the semi translucent stone with cloud like fractures, as well as the pale blues . they hook me every time ;-)

cheers mate.

Mace.

I may sell some but need to get more, I could easily sell what I have but would have no stone to carve, currently have people from all parts of the globe chasing me to buy or trade. our good quality nephrite is much like NZ stone, this nephrite is very hard, nephrite hardness is said to go to 6.5 but this goes close to 7 and does not undercut, a deeper apple green and harder than all the rest, its true nephrite I had it tested by xrd, some have told me they don,t like Tamworth material but this is because they have never seen our good stone and I do not like parting with it.

Cheers michael B

mate I don't blame ya, all to often deposits get attacked by companies without a qualm, with no thought or respect , chasing the dollar value only . Depriving artisans the opportunity to respect the gifts that nature provides , value add to a locally sourced material , promote local industries and income, and learn and develop skills that they in turn can pass on to others in the community for the benefit of all.

lol that being said I agree with ya , i hadn't done anything with stone at all, but have been a fan of jade in particular nephrite for as long as I can remember , and while flawless nephrite is wicked !! I think it only comes into its own in revealing the skill of the artisan, as personally I very much prefer the flecks of iron , color variations and changes in transparency that ya see in what is not typically A grade nephrite , I really dont see what the fuss is with the cowell black , nice stuff for sure and know doubt predictable in its performance but ..... , to show some what i mean by pretty I have put up a post with a couple of bits of nephrite from the " great serpentine belt" dont really know if its considered rude to post piccys on some elses post so will do that instead

cheers

mace.

:) bro , keep a eye out 4 a 4x4 van with mean maori stickers on it hahahahahahahhahahahahhah !! :rolleyes:

Mace, totally agree with your views, there is currently a exploration licence on the area I fossic, this company wants to bring in large earth moving gear to reveal the deposits along the serpentine fault zone, tear huge areas apart, where I find the good green they will never get there hands on it because it is now part of the farmers dam wall over flow, and the government would not allow this, they are sending all the jade to Asia to be processed, in the last 8 years I have seen 2 other companies try this in this area and failed,

seems like its the wrong way to get the stone. destroy the earth it came from in order to get it out. like the idea of going out with a shovel and pick and diging it out myself. alot of my lathe work i have done has come from wood that i salvaged from downed trees or from recycled lumber.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived