Musical (Stringed) Instrument

jon.eckart

Here's some photos of my almost completed 3 stringer. It's a present for my friends grand daughter. The family is from the Kirribati Islands and they love any thing to do with the water so I used a dolphin theme for the instrument. It's out of meranti which is the only thing I can get locally as we live in central Australia.

Jonpost-3550-0-60904000-1356229483.jpgpost-3550-0-58489400-1356229498.jpgpost-3550-0-84349900-1356229518.jpg

im guessing that it is eather dark red meranti or baulau. did you hand carve or power carve it? how does it sound i would think the wood would be too soft to give it a real sharp tone.

you might want to post photos of this on the wood wisperer forum im sure alot of those guys would like to see more stuff like this.

http://www.woodtalkonline.com/

The soundboard unfortunately is meranti ply as are the sides. I needed to make it before Christmas and didn't have anything else lying around. It takes about 4 weeks to get some guitar wood mailed to where we live. The meranti carves quite nicely but quite coarse grained. I have used some thin ply I scavenged off of some furniture for soundboards on ukuleles and it is quite good. Anyway the friend's grand daughter liked it and could play the 3 chords for a song in about 5 minutes. The 3 strings CEG with 2 frets make it fool proof for a beginner.

Regards,

Jon

Archived