Canuck Hermit Newbie Carver Intro:

J. David Cox

Old. Retired. Live remote on a west coast island with long-suffering wife surely destined for sainthood. Haven't carved in 30 years. But I am getting the 'bug' again. Thinking of sculpting rock. Last time it was soapstone. Maybe they don't make it anymore? Wanted something a smidge harder but not as hard as granite. Alabastar? Marble? Came to forum for general advice on tools and materials. Might even crack a joke.........who knows what is going to come of this?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Appreciated. Yes. I have heard of Lasqueti. Came up close and personal to a rock in Squitty Bay once, too. I have managed to cadge some rocks since I joined up. I now have a few chunks of soapstone, some marble and a few pieces of Onyx - which is harder than Kryptonite. I hate to admit it but but I don't 'see' anything in them yet. I distinctly recall 'seeing' things in my previous efforts. "let the polar bear out by removing all the excess......" kind of thing. But, for the last few days I just kinda walk past them and look. Like a doofus. With rocks. I hope the visions come again.......

No, that is not a suggestion for mushrooms or anything. I think 'seeing' in the rock is just something that you have and I have to find that again.

Archived