White Deer

tsterling

We've been catching glimpses of a white deer around our place late summer and this fall. Today, she graced us with her posing (thanks to some apples we left out). Also reminded us of a white fawn we saw a few years back (photo included). These aren't alibinos - on Whidbey Island and the San Juan islands in Washington (the state, not the puzzle palace) there is a race of white deer, obviously a recessive genetic trait when mixed with regular blacktail deer, so they are fairly rare, although not nearly as rare as albinos. Occasionally folks around here see "pinto" deer with white spots.

post-11-1128296744.jpg

post-11-1128296763.jpg

Hi Jim,

Not surprised. We've lived here about ten years now, and have only seen about five. Two of those were the second or third day on the island - my wife was looking out the window of the temporary place we were staying while building our house and gasped as a beautiful white buck strolled out of the woods. I then saw it and thought what a rare sight it was to see an albino, untill 20 seconds later a second one stepped into view! I figured they weren't albinos then, and started asking around.

Of course, it never rains but it pours. Here's a pic of another visitor that showed up last night: great grey owl. We only see these guys every few years as well. This one held still while I walked within 20 feet and snapped the image. Love the spooky red eyes in the flash...

And another of the white fawn and mom I dug out of the computer.

post-11-1128348527.jpg

post-11-1128348573.jpg

:D Wow! I have only learned the hoo of this great bird, from audio tape bird sounds. How fortunate you are! We've got differences between individuals in the heards of deer in Minnesota, but I have not yet learned of white ones. Well done with the photos!

Janel

• 2 weeks later...

More deer - our own personal little herd at the corn rock 6 feet out the back door. Shortly after this photo the fight was on - two of these are yearling bucks, Spike and Nub, out to impress the ladies (dream on, boys!).

Maybe we're helping too many get through the winter, but we do love seeing them when they come to the back door and stand there expectantly...

post-11-1129339619.jpg

• 5 months later...

Here's another visitor who came by yesterday (March 26, 2006), an adult American Bald Eagle. He (she?) decided to leave the branch he was sitting on overlooking the water just as I got the camera focused. We see them come by several times a day, except when the salmon are running up the rivers, but they seldom light in our trees, and usually won't allow you close enough for a picture without a huge telephoto.

post-11-1143493118.jpg

Archived