Kaddie Here

K Addie

Hi, I am Kaddie. I'm new to this forum and my passion for carving is bones. I also use epoxy resin and inlay materials such as abalone, turquoise and red coral. I began this hobby many years ago, dropped it, and returned two years ago. I make items such as votive candle holders, earrings, pendants, book marks, etc.

I've attached a photo of a few of my pieces, and I have a lot more.

Not yet sure how to get around here, but I look forward to seeing everyone's work and sharing techniques and ideas.

post-3618-0-47881000-1360630644.jpg

post-3618-0-77481600-1360630782.jpg

i love inlay work i try and use it when i do wood turning. you can get decrative sand and hobby stores that works well for inlay. also grinder steel dust, brass key clipings, thats some of the free material that i have found. any free stuff that you use?

brass inlay bowl http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/duckkisser/DSCN0263_zps661d0b3b.jpg

blue sand from hoby lobby http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/duckkisser/DSCN0258_zps0f18579a.jpg

just a couple pictures that i have handy.

Your work is beautiful. Thanks for the suggestions regarding inlay material. Free stuff? I turned my coffee grinder into a stone and bead grinder, so I have a lot of colors going, but I have not tried them yet for inlay. Right now I'm cleaning and polishing bone pieces, so the next move will be colorful inlay. I will let you know how it goes. By the way, I am disappointed with red coral, but maybe mine is too finely ground.

i made my own morter and pestile out of pipes all you need is a small pipe nipple and pipe end cape to be the grinder. then just get a larger pipe cap and larger pipe nipple to act as the bowl. then you can put some small stone in the large end cap screw on the large pipe nipple and hammer on it to smash the rocks. after you get larger stones to smaller stone you can grinde it up like a normal mortise and pestile making fine powder.

some one on the forum sent me some mammoth bone dust you might be able to use that for inlay, try using talkum powder that is a white stone, try soap stone (can get small carving blocks online or at hobby stores), and a friend sent me some jade. i also saved shaving from all kinds of wood projects so now i have a whole series of shades of brown and red in saw dust. hmmm dont forget epoxy but i have not worked with that. there is also a material that is used for glass blowing to color that glass. that is pure color agent and that is rather inturesting to work with. i made a bowl with steel dust inlay and when i sanded and polished that it left black lines that the highlights were silver. you might want to think about buying a veneer pack of all kinds of wood then you can cut pieces of wood in traditional inlay.

free stuff as in not buying expensive stones but rather stuff found on the cheap or free like the grinder steel dust.

Archived