First Carving--"solo"!

Tom Edward

Sorry for the clutter on the bench but after several years of buying stuff that ( "I need") it has to be somewhere.

My fordem hand pice is in a tiki vise then in a 3'' bench vise, I can turn it 45 degrees a handy idea, the vaccuum is in the closet and the carving stuff is on the bench with extra goods under the bench in boxes etc, I just can't wait until I am back in a real studio setting!

Cheers.

Tom.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh how can you stand that mess. i clean up my bench like daily and i need to put all my stuff away constently. in fact im planing on building 30 inches drawers under my bench to store carving tools and hand tools underneath.

i like your feathers do they hang like a pendent (if there necklace how to you plan on hanging them) or are you planing on using them for earings.

Hi Tom,

Cool work. Also I, kind of like, your working space. Might be difficult to find the right tool immediately from time to time, but I don't believe than a perfectly clean area can lead to a lot of creative work, imo. And even if you start with a clean surface, soon enough it ends up kind of messy. Anyway, it apparently does not stop you from good carving ;)

Keep it up

Hey Thanks, well that feather is the front and back side, it does hang suspended,

Sorry for the mess on the work space, but the mess I am okay with since I do know where everything that I use is and a cluttered space is okay.

I do agree that everything does need a place to be but that area has not been there long less than a month actually and yes I am looking around for good shelving but not plastic boxes etc,

I do have another bench to use, but refuse to work in a carpeted area since dropping things is loosing things in a carpeted area, many of the files rasps etc don't get used so they are destined for a box of there own but when it comes along, since throwing tools etc into a box unorganized is just as bad if not worse then having a cluttered work spoce.

But thanks for the replies.

Cheers.

Lovely work Tom, it is beautiful very dynamic for a feather indeed.

Everyone is giving you trouble about your messy work space, but my! Better than having no space at all! I should put a photo of mine up, it makes your lovely shop look like a surgical table! I get to load everything i own into a toolbox every time I finish carving for the day, I don't have a shop. I use the first step from my fire escape.

Beautiful work, and wonderful work space! :) look forward to seeing more.

nice set up yes it very cluttered but if it dose when you need it to do and works for you they it works i try to clean my table at least once a week and put every thing back on the wall on in the holders but if it works for you that all thats matters and keep up the good work

the only reason i give you some greaf is i do more then little carving i do larger carving, boxes, inlay, marqetry, wood turning ect.... and my space is so small by the time i set down one board to make into a box i have no more room so if i dont clean up between each project i could not get any thing made. but if it works for you then great. keep on trucken and keep showing us what you have made.

Hello Everyone, well thanks for the comments, some of you get it some didn't.

Bella Nicol your are right on the mark, carving for me has been a life long struggle and working full time did not help any, I now have time to carve and do what I want , currently I am working on whale tooth pendants and they are very rewarding,

As for the mess well it's like a garage what comes out at the end of the day is better than it went in, and ya its messy to a point but I have no need to want for a tool, when it is there .......somewhere!

Cheers.

T.E.

ps that is one feather front and back and my first engraved bone carving, the other 3 were 2 adze blades and one small 3/4 inch spiral.!

• 4 weeks later...

I love this feather, one of the nicest stylized feathers Ive seen for ages, very pretty thing. Now you make me want to try bone again...if I could get it so fine and white and glossy. Is there room on that bench for a mug of coffee?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jean H ! sorry that I missed this, I don't get here to often and thank you for the comments, it was a real learning curve to do a feather like that the first bone carving on my own, but the second one is taking longer because mammoth ivory has a bad smell, but I store it in dry soap powder to get past it.

S o far the second one is half as thick and a bit wavier,.

I hope to post some images of innovative tools that I have made soon look for some "post cards"!

No there is very little room for a coffee on that table although I did do some improvment and sorting.

Thanks again.

Tom.

Archived