Models for bronzes

Dick Bonham

Hi,

Here are the almost finished clay models for the bronze sculptures I have been working on for the last few months. They should soon be on their way to the foundry . I will be very happy to see them arrive safe and sound. The light in my studio is too bright to show all of the texture sculpted into the white clay but they have a great deal of texture. I like to show the creative process in the finished bronze.

Dick

post-15-1128881000.jpg

Hi Janel and Jim,

Thanks, I hope they are a good likeness. A person who knew them well said the sculptures look like the people. I did small scale models and lots of drawings from photographs to start but I don't scale up from the small pieces. I just start the big pieces from scratch. I find scaling up big pieces from small magnifies errors. By doing lots of drawings and clay sketches I imprint forms in my memory. Which makes doing the big pieces easier. I find drawing the biggest help. I draw all the time. The clay is a wax based material that does not react with the rubber mold material like oil based clays which contain sulpher. These busts will be cast in bronze using the lost wax method with ceramic shell molds. The finished pieces will weigh about 400 pounds each. The horses are on athletic patches with lots of lettering. The lettering is carved in reverse into plaster. Fun to do. I should do a tutorial sometime on creating relief lettering like that found on coins and medals. The casting will take about six months.

Dick

Dean and Woodsman,

Thanks. They are one and one half lifesize. I can't wait to see them delivered to the foundry, cast and finished. I like to work very big or very small. The are of a father and son who coached together in the 1940's. I'll tell you who they are when the final approval is made in a week or so.

Dick

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you very much. I will rent a van and take them to the foundry myself. It is only an hour and a half drive from my studio. I can't insure them untill they are cast for some reason. I'll just have to hope I get there OK. Because the core is styrofoam they only weigh about sixty pounds each so moving them to the van isn't a problem. I had one of the gentleman who played football for them here this morning who is now eighty years old and he said I captured the likeness exactly. One more player has to see them and I can take them to the foundry. I'll post a picture when they are finished (I have some work to do on the athletic jackets and letters for the back and final texture). Wish me luck.

Dick

Archived