Newbie Question Re: Mammoth Ivory

Ann W

I am new to mammoth carving, I have heard that one should use a face mask when carving mammoth ivory. Is this correct and if so, what kind should I use. Should a mask be used for carving other materials as well? Anyone have a list or can recommend a good book on carving mammoth ivory and stones? Any safety recommendations? Thank you!

Hi Ann,

Answer to your question have been discussed here quite often already, you should find more details easily. As for mammoth yes a mask is needed, fine dust can be potentialy dangerous for your lungs As for stone, according to the kind of stone you intend on carving, a mask is also strongly recommended, but like I said many more details (and probably some you did not think about) can be found within this forum with the search function.

Have fun

the small throw away cloth masks dont work you need one with filters that you can change out. little thing to look for is one with the vent facing down from you if it faces up towards your face it will fog up your glasses.

http://www.menards.com/main/paint/drop-cloths-plastic-sheeting/protective-wear/respirators/3m-trade-tekk-trade-mold-and-lead-paint-removal-respirator-mask/p-1497045-c-8068.htm something like this is very usefull because you can put just the filters on no cartrige so it keeps the weight down. and you can change the filters for different uses like if you want to spray you but a chemical filter on and your set. the best protection though is to collect the dust right at the source. for example i have a hose and shop vac hooked up right at my bench so it sucks up any dust i make right there. so the realy realy light stuff that you breath and stay in your lungs for a long time get pulled in.

and if you want to be realy carefull they make full face masks that have a battery and a moter that blows air down on your face to cool you, but now your talking big money. and unless you can find one at a garage sale or you do this all the time its not worth the money.

Archived