Hello, I'm New.

Irene S

Hi, I'm Irene. I'm learning to carve on bone, at the moment I have most of the skeleton of a young deer I found by a creek. I've been using a dremel tool, it's been tons of fun!

In the past I sculpted in mainly Polymer Clay. I've had some of my small pieces in stores(actually everything I do is small, I love detail!), but found that most people want to make more money off of you then you get to make so pulled them (I was a little annoyed). Some of my pieces did sell so it wasn't a loss.

Anyways, I've been stalking this forum and am trying out some of the staining methods given in a old post today!!! I'm very excited to have found this forum and look forward to learning more!

Thank you,

Irene

Welcome Irene,

I am glad that you have found some useful information here already!

Selling one's work, whether by ones' self or through the efforts of someone else, that is a big subject for discussion that could cover lots of ground.

I hope that you are protecting your lungs from the dusts made when using the power tool and when sanding. Others will emphasize this as well.

Janel

Welcome Irene,

I am glad that you have found some useful information here already!

Selling one's work, whether by ones' self or through the efforts of someone else, that is a big subject for discussion that could cover lots of ground.

I hope that you are protecting your lungs from the dusts made when using the power tool and when sanding. Others will emphasize this as well.

Janel

Hello,

I use goggles, gloves and a respirator... but when cutting/slicing through the bone I can taste it(no problems when I'm drilling or the like). That's actually one of the questions that I have, which respirator is the best for bone?

There is so much great information on this forum, thank you for the opportunity to join!

Irene

edit: I just used the search function lol. So it looks like the best thing to help is a vacuum in conjunction with my respirator. I need to go look into them...

Hi Irene,

I'm new here too...I feel like Ive been carving in isolation for years...there is sooo much to learn from everyone here.

Janel is right, selling work is a topic worth discussing. The internet is the way forward for me because shops and galleries take such a big slice from sales.

Look forward to seeing some of your work.

welcome yes there is a lot to learn from here you never stop learning if you do you die i work in bone my self as for selling you work there is the school of thought every body wants a cut of the sale well thats true but for us artists its not fair i sell mainly on the net trougth trade me www.trademe.co.nz or through doing little markets i do do the odd gallery its more about getting my name out there than selling my work i just want to make a living from what i enjoy not millions for what its worth keep up the good work love to see some of your stuff one day by the way check out www.dembones.co.nz

Archived