Just Getting Started

Ken E

My name is Ken, I'm from Eastern Washington. I started carving in 2009 and retired from a career in drywall finishing. I really enjoy working with wood so hoping now to get serious about carving. I mainly use knives to carve with. I have been looking into air turbine tools and would like to try doing some engraving or small relief in wooden boxes which I would build. As soon as I figure out how to resize pics and upload I'll post a few things I've done so far. Still a novice so hoping to learn a lot from this group as well as a local carving club which I belong to.

Ken,

Welcome from another newbie. I've done a lot of carving in the last year and would love to see some of your work, when you can resize them for the forum. I enjoy cottonwood bark carving, as it is very quick... but not forgiving. It is free, however. I use knives, gouges and use my dremel with a flexible shaft (for 75% of the work). If you are carving harder wood, you might consider a power tool like the dremel. It get the work started and in about 15 minutes, I can begin to see what I want to carve in my head. Sometimes it is hard to get started, but with the power tool it seems much easier.

ScottN from New Mexico

thanks Scott, i have been thinking about a dremel and was wondering if they worked well. i also notice you are from New Mexico. my wife's dad lives in Aztec and we go down there for a visit every year. I love the landscape and see there is a large supply of red cedar. Do you ever use red cedar to carve with? I do know its kind of a toxic wood so one has to be careful of the dust but I was talking to someone down there about carving and he said he carved with it so was just curious about how popular it is. on past visits i have grabbed a few pieces that were laying on the ground and drug them back but have not yet tried carving with any of it.

welcome from nz using a dremel is great but you could look at couple of other ways like the dremel there arer a number of theads on this site about different tool like the dremel me i use both the dremel as well as a micro die grin grinder run by a 40 lt air compresser but thats me as i mainly do bone check out my stuff www.dembones.co.nz

Archived