Skull Carving

Jimmy

post-114-1129341791.jpgFor every ones viewing pleasure (or not) here is one of my more recent pieces. During the summer I try to carve a little each day—sometimes only a few minutes, sometimes an hour or so. This piece is fossilized ivory and the design was developed by my son. He is an artist thus normally has better design ideas than I do. The piece is approximately 5 inches tall and 2 inches at the widest point. It was carved to look somewhat travel and handled worn. There is some coloring (to show depth) in the recessed areas—the coloring was made from boiled black walnuts. Comments-good or bad-are welcome.

Thanks,

Jim McNeil

I like the time-worn aspect. It looks like it's been around a while. Maybe carved on some whaling ship. Nice

Thanks for the comment. I had seen your work in knife magazines and always thought how beautiful the craftsmanship was. Happy to see you are carving also--I checked your site--beautiful items. Thanks again for your reply.

Jim McNeil

post-114-1129341791.jpgFor every ones viewing pleasure (or not) here is one of my more recent pieces.  During the summer I try to carve a little each day—sometimes only a few minutes, sometimes an hour or so.  This piece is fossilized ivory and the design was developed by my son.  He is an artist thus normally has better design ideas than I do.  The piece is approximately 5 inches tall and 2 inches at the widest point.  It was carved to look somewhat travel and handled worn.  There is some coloring (to show depth) in the recessed areas—the coloring was made from boiled black walnuts.  Comments-good or bad-are welcome.

Thanks,

Jim McNeil

nice piece. I like the use of stain. cooch

Archived