Hello, I'm Cj

CJT

Hi, my name's CJ. I'm new here, both to the forums and to carving as a hobby. It's been less than a year since I started with rock and gemstone carving. I use my dremel and flexshaft tool for most of my work, but also have used my rock tumbler for various stages on a few stones. My first few projects were mostly freeform carvings (how can you mess that up?) and quickly tried faceting (yes, still with my dremel), and now going back to more visually interesting carvings.

I give everything I make away to friends and family, so it's difficult or impossible to go back and get more pictures of the finished pieces. Sorry, I'm not much of a photographer, so these pictures aren't very good.

My first attempt at faceting a necklace pendant for my sister. Lab Alexandrite.

post-3668-0-54630100-1366815354.jpg

Earrings as a Christmas present to my mom showing the color change in different lights. Lab Alexandrite.

post-3668-0-32362700-1366815356.jpgpost-3668-0-87320100-1366815355.jpg

My latest (unfinished) project carving a feather. Carnelian.

post-3668-0-28951100-1366815353.jpg

Thanks for looking and welcoming me into this awesome community!

Very best,

CJ

Thank you! I agree, feathers can certainly represent whimsy, softness, warmth, and peace.

Yes, I do find myself getting lost in a particular piece of art, realizing I've overdone it when I look up and feel the discomfort of neck pain. :-P

Very best,

CJ

Thank you! I'm still new at carving, but enjoying it very much. This last year, I've gained the attitude that says, "I can do that!" and have gotten into trying lots of new arts like carving, metalwork, and wood burning. Since I don't have the right tools, I have to improvise a lot. Those faceted pieces were made with little 10mm flat top diamond burs, and took FOREVER! It will be a long time till I work with Corundum again.

I have diamond discs and burs of different grits to do the rough shaping. To touch up, I use fine grit (320 - 1000) wet sandpaper. I'm still learning to polish, but I have cotton and wool buffs that I load with diamond paste. I usually skip every other level until about 3.5 micron.

I actually finished the feather yesterday, adding a bit more depth to the details, and throwing a few jump rings on it so I can give it away. Drilling the hole at the top was frustrating since I broke two 1mm drill bits. I haven't decided what to make next. I'll surely share it here with the forum.

- CJ

post-3668-0-91404400-1367216671.jpg

Archived