First Scrimshaw Piece

Lachlan

My first attempt at scrimshaw on a. After trying a few things I settled on stippling. Im happy with all of it except the babies head, I got a little over excited doing the shading around its mouth. Took around 30 hours which I think is good for a first attempt.

Binding is a 4 strand braid with loops back-braided in at each end so it can be adjusted.

Question for any scrimshanders out there. I wanted to go darker but could only do so by using a larger point, which I felt detracted from the piece, any suggestions?

Where I live the local Torres Strait Islanders and Aboriginals hunt quite a lot of the animals. It is illegal to possess the ribs and tusks and a shop on Thursday Island got in trouble for selling dugongs carved from dugong tusk. Silly law because no one hunts for the tusks.

Cool, thats very helpful, I'm over near Borroloola NT and see the locals hunting and eating it quite regularly, so I'll make some inquiry's next time I run into someone. Thanks for that, shouldn't be hard for me to get some rib bones, which have now made the want list too :)

Archived