Opal Madness

michael B

Started carving this a few days back, its lightning ridge black opal, the rough was full of holes and clay but I was able to position my carving to remove these, most opal carvers use the natural shape of the stone, more like free form, still very much in the rough stages , 120 grit sanding.

post-2986-0-43079700-1369270981.jpg

post-2986-0-70775500-1369271012.jpg

This is a stone that would be a good one to see in person. The dynamic form makes for interesting and separate shapes, showing the character of the stone in different ways. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Janel

thanks for the comments Janel & Ken, I was very luck to find this piece of opal, was very cheap, most Lightning ridge black is to valuable to carve, I was amazed on the hardness of this piece, around 6, will post more pics as I progress.

• 2 weeks later...

thats beautiful mate ! , its looking stunning , truth be told I have never really liked opal , it sort of never really appealled , until I saw this , it didnt have much of an appeal to me , now , well guess I will be looking at it in a different light, coz wow !

Thanks Tom & Mace, a challenge this piece, slow steady progress, now sanded to 3000 diamond, will final polish on fine diamond or cerium, I never thought opal was hard, this is easily 6 if not slightly more, as hard as my local jade, its Lightning ridge black.

post-2986-0-64808400-1370951798.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That has an amazing surface. What patience to bring it there. Thank you for showing it to us.

I am curious about using a different, single, more specular light source that is color balanced and bright. Shiny, glossy work is quite difficult to illuminate and capture in images, but when the right light source and angles with bounced fill hitting just the right places while illuminating the body, images can be spectacular.

My reason for suggesting trying a different image record is because I want to see if some of the opal flash/fire that is hinted at with your current sources of lighting can be captured.

It may take me an hour or more and lots of shots to find just the right composition with light and shadow to show off each individual piece's attributes, but the effort is rewarded with results that show off the work and material the best of many possibilities.

I apologize for asking, and don't waste your time with it if you do not have the set up for it. I know how complicated it can get with photographing small glossy pieces. I am just very curious about the fire/flash.

Thank you again, and congratulations for reaching completion of this lovely gem.

Janel

Thanks Janel, this picture was taken at night in my workshop, with the macro setting, my lighting for pictures is poor, i have a good friend that is good at this and he enjoys taking these for me, i had trouble getting this picture, will post a pic asap.

Archived