Bone Sturgeon For Sturgeon Research Centre

This went to the International Centre for Sturgeon Studies, to a wonderful fellow Gord. It was well deserved.

The sturgeon is carved from the first cattle bone I had cleaned on my own, which was the femur of a very, very large and old bull. The eyes are polished amber, with tattoo ink in the centre however, the amber was the wrong type for what it had been used for as you can see which is why the eyes are clouded. It was lashed onto Northern Braid fishing line with a blue mammoth tusk toggle. Gord said he liked it, mission accomplished! Unfortunately I did not get any photos of the finished lashing.

post-3058-0-97315400-1369690244.jpg

post-3058-0-77581800-1369690252.jpg

post-3058-0-66614100-1369690260.jpg

post-3058-0-14278900-1369690270.jpg

Thank you SO much! The bone was very porous in one area, the other was mostly solid but my prisma markings remain after sanding and trying to remove them which makes it look porous still! This was one of my favourite. It came so easily, I can't explain. It is almost like a second nature when it comes to fish, they are so fluid, yet the sharp edges are often so rigid and masculine. I have a similar way of tattooing, which makes fish and aquatic animals my ultra-favourite. Thanks Gareth :) I so much appreciate your feedback!

Archived