rain & leaves

Jim Kelso

It's a very strange Fall here in northern Vermont. No frost yet which is unheard of. We had very warm, dry weather up to 12 days ago and we've had rain every day since. The early color was very bland, but we still have late color which is usually all but gone now. Not following any usual pattern.

Because of the lack of frost there are still a lot of understory plants hanging in there that would normally be toasted. Here's a shot two days ago showing nice color in the Beaches which are still quite lovely. Nice full stream from all the rain.

post-4-1129689865.jpg

Yes I did think you used a filter! Excellent photography Jim!

Yes, I want a neutral density filter big time! they come in so many shades and depending on what your shooting you might not have the right one! there is a variable one but its very expensive, but everyone raves about it. Time lapse/smearing is one of the tricks you can do..... my heart jumps to think about using a ND filter and placing the camera facing in the direction of the sun up through a trees branches and leaves during a slight wind!!!! especially with the colored leaves you have available.......... it would ghost some of the leaves into a smeary color sunlight would make it kinda glow..... anyway.. I need to get one....

ahhh I bet it would look so killer converted into infra red... sheesssssshhhhh I want one!

dreaming......

Rik

Sounds pretty cool. I went back today to the same stream and found this spot about 200 meters up from the other. Another 1 sec exposure. It's unbelievably beautiful there. I keep snapping my head around to catch the fairies. I think we'll have about five more days of this nice understory foliage. Supposed to get some sun tomorrow and Friday. The cloudy light has been nice for this sort of thing.

post-4-1129765270.jpg

I like to use the Photoshop channels to create a b&w image now and then.

Jim, maybe your Elements program might show you something like what I see when using Command 1 or Command 2 or Command 3 ... Command ~ gets you back to all of the colors. In order, it is Channel Red, Green and Blue.

If you can't do that, I could post or email the variations. They are all delightfully different.

Janel

Archived