Sign in to follow this  
niky

New To Carving Path Old To Carving...

I am an eclectic artist schooled in fine arts. My entire career spanning 40+ years was in jewelry design and model making; I have painted, sculpted, and been involved in industrial design. I now dedicate my time to Netsuke carving. Japanese art is for me the ultimate expression of human aesthetic.

I am an international award wining jewelry designer with 22 national and international awards, as well as an accomplished master goldsmith, sculptor, netsukishi/netsuke carver.

Born in Bucharest Romania, I came to Canada in 1962. Studied fine art at the Ecole Des Beaux Arts, University of Montreal, specifically sculpture. Studied all facets of jewelry design and fabrication at the school for Applied Arts Pforzheim, Germany. Acquired extensive industrial design experience in the process of designing jewelry stores and plant facilities.

Fluent in 5 languages including French, German, working understanding of Italian and Spanish

I have been a Japanophile and collector of Japanese art since my twenties; after retiring from jewelry mgf recently, I decided to dedicate all my artistic endeavors to the carving of contemporary Netsukes.

see my work on: http://nikysenater.com/

Welcome to the forum niky. I had a look at your link...and WOW ! I love the dung beatles and the fish bucket.

The Carving Path is proud to have you as a member. :)

thank you guys ; first time in 46 years I dont have a day job and dont want one!

I am retired and work full time!

I am retired and work full time!

Love this statement. :)

Thanks for joining, I'm sure you have got a lot of experience, that will benefit quite a few of us.

My personal favorite shown at your site is the "Golden beetle" .

Welcome inky.

I checke out your site and ,,,,all I can say is WOW... Very nice work...

I have done a few peas in a pod 3 peas to 5 peas,,,and 1 pea ,,, I called sweet pea for my granddaughter ... Now you have inspired me to do a cluster of pea pods... Again beautiful work and will be back to visit your site ,,, I like your work. And welcome to TCP.

Thanks guys

The "Golden beetle" (I call it "gold bug") is a kagamibuta netsuke that was just purchased by HIH princes Takamado of Japan

The "peas" are actually "edamame" in other words soya bins; if you eat a lot of sushi you must have eaten edamame.

What I regret is that the all the projects I have will take 20-30 years, and at 67 I'll probably have at best an other 15 years before I become too decrepit to work... as it is I have to get a new prescription for my glasses! And I hope I remember what I have to do this morning!