New Lapidary School....help?

Ezekiel Hughes

In particular I was hoping you all could suggest the best slab saws (at least 36" I think and something much smaller that can slab up the heels so we don't waste material) and the best trim saws/blades, the best stand alone arbors and the best wheels: from grinding to polishing.

Hi all. I've been charged with putting together a grant proposal for a lapidary shop for a school. I know what we need generically, but I'm looking for advice on particular models. Versatility is paramount as the students are going to be encouraged to make whatever piece of art they desire, so the equipment needs to handle many sizes of carvings as well as small pieces for pendants and whatnot. I would like to avoid DIY equipment for insurance reasons.

In particular I was hoping you all could suggest the best slab saws (at least 36" I think and something much smaller that can slab up the heels so we don't waste material) and the best trim saws/blades, the best stand alone arbors and the best wheels: from grinding to polishing.

Price is no object, though I have to keep the first year's budget "reasonable".

We will primarily be working in jades.

It would also be nice to find pre-assemble point carver units rather than having to cobble them together as it seems most jade carvers do.

Advice on bits for the point carver needed as well and where I can find those nifty inflatable drums too.

Any and all advice is welcome and any other equipment suggestions.

Right now I'm looking at several Foredom stations; a full series of two station covington arbors (120-final polish)...hp of motors should be?;Drill press; point carvers; slab saw; trim saws; water-fed angle grinders + pads;band saw (beaded cord?) for stone; ...you get the idea :-)

Thanks in advance.It would also be nice to find pre-assemble point carver units rather than having to cobble them together as it seems most jade carvers do.

im sad i want to have a price as no object. :)

im a wood shop teacher with a tight budget so its gets tricky. but if your looking to get some advice in some shop tools pm me and maybe i can help you figure some stuff out. perhaps mybe some lathe work as well since that is my expierence is right now.

i wouldnt know for sure but maybe a wet table saw or those tile cutters, dremels with the diamond tips and drill are nice to have on hand and those nifty clamps with the magnifying glass are nice for small detailing work or just clamps to hold your work in place..turn tables are nice to have...and some sturdy cloth like canvas helps to keep things from getting to scratched up and protect projects depending what it is...

good luck with all of it and let us know how it goes.

• 2 months later...

Ezekiel,

Contact me through here or my website and I would be glad to have a chat with you. I have been a lapidary for a living since 1977 and have had a diamond tool company now for about 18 years.

www.lopacki.com

All my best ............ Danny

ezekiel,,i am glad to see your interest in carving gemstones.i have been in the carving business for almost 50 years and i can tell you that your best source for diamond tools is danny lopacki.ihave used his tools for years.over the years i have used tools from a lot of sources and have had better service with his tools.i am not able to use the computer much anymore but if i can help you in anyway,let me know and i will get back to you.good luck with your carving.best regards,kenneth neaves

Archived