Price

niky

PRICE... For me and for selling, time is irrelevant... talent and artistry sets the price. Just because someone spends a lot of time on a piece it does not mean one gets more $$ or that it is stunning...

I just sold a piece I spent half the time than on other pieces and it was not my favorite. I buy art only if I like it, whether it took 2h or 200h. And also if i can afford it. I bargen hard with other merchants and suppliers but never with Artists!

What i find infuriating, is that in the case of netsuke, dead carvers get huge $$!! Contemporary carvers do exquisite work and THEY DONT GET PAYED any thing close to what they deserve!! It is a shame that buyers don’t remunerate genius artists commensurate to their awe-inspiring creations! It is also humiliating for such artists to have to negotiate, something they don’t do very well and buyers take advantage...

Absolutely concur.

There are lots of creations out there that are fantastic, yet the creators of them virtually live in proverty. And others, whose creations resemble (to me at least) the works of a baby (I feel like that foremost with paintings), whose marketing machiene has driven the price into the stratosphere.

Carving of any kind, is a process that takes time, value should come with quality. But unfortunately, these days value comes with marketing, something that any real artist loads to do as it takes away from the creative process in the first place. Its only after one is established and or has a benefactor, that one is able to make a living off it at all, without having to compromise.

Archived