Mother and Child

Dick Bonham

Hi,

Here is a new piece I finished today. It is 2 1/2" in diameter and was going to be my first manju netsuke with an ojime. However, I ran out of time so It is now a medallic sculpture. It is for my Grandaughter Kana's first birthday. She was born in the year of the monkey. The piece is made of bronze, copper, and silver. It was entirely fabricated.

Dick

post-15-1129742111.jpg

Hi Jim,

Thank you. I used chisles and gravers for the hair. I also used punches and chasing tools for the face. It's difficult to see in the photograph but the bamboo has silver on the top of the leaves to indicate snow. I melted silver on to the leaves using yellow ochre for a stop so the silver only fused half way on to the pierced bronze. The eyes are silver tubing.

Dick

Thank you Don. I build my pieces up in layers and carve them out the same as you carve wood. I held the piece on an engravers ball with copper pins. I have two different ( have to be careful here) engravers balls. One has a top piece which rotates for engraving. You turn the piece into the graver. The other is very heavy ( the type used for guns) so I can chisel and chase on it without the ball moving. It will stay at any angle because of it's weight. I do have a cast iron pitch bowl that I use for repousse and chasing thinner pieces. There are some beautiful knives with silver handles and scabbard fittings created by chasing and repousse. Go for it . Life IS too short.

Dick

Thank you Don. I build my pieces up in layers and carve them out the same as you carve wood. I held the piece on an engravers ball with copper pins. I have two different ( have to be careful here) engravers balls. One has a top piece which rotates for engraving. You turn the piece into the graver. The other is very heavy ( the type used for guns) so I can chisel and chase on it without the ball moving. It will stay at any angle because of it's weight. I do have a cast iron pitch bowl that I use for repousse and chasing thinner pieces. There are some beautiful knives with silver handles and scabbard fittings created by chasing and repousse. Go for it . Life IS too short.

Dick

Geez, I love this site. makes me want to get off my,,,,,and carve. I have a whales tooth to get done. cooch

Archived