Sign in to follow this  
niky

On My Bench

I never work on one piece only; on my bench are, a Dung Beetle with a Longhorn called “uninvited guest”, (finished, just needs painting) one kagamibuta, one Japanese bamboo basket which will have a silver fish in it, one Gabon ebony / stag moon "cranes over the moon" (silver cranes), one pebble warped in fabric.

See “about” on my site “my studio” http://nikysenater.com/ the shop is in my live/work loft.

However I would like to share the repair of a leg on the dung beetle, which broke from too much undercutting (I have subsequently reinforced all legs while working, with a brace [wood splinter] made to go under the legs) See the boxwood peg prepared to reinforce the leg and the beetle leg held in place by wax

post-3700-0-19353300-1372903781.jpgpost-3700-0-15305700-1372903930.jpgpost-3700-0-27685100-1372903968.jpg

on you bench you have a round container with what look like punches or some kind of texturing tools.......what exactly are they?

also the carving pad that you carve on. what is that and how do you make it? any particular filler? how is it attached to your bench?

I also checked out you site is that a delta 46-460 lathe on your bench?

Hi Dan, the round container is full with burs (accumulated by being a jeweller for over 40 years) for my flex hand piece (motors are both Fordom and Dermal)

The carving pad is made from a Tubular Bandage and can be found at geriatric stores, definitely on the net.

And yes it is a delta 46-460 lathe; fenomenal! I have a Sherline lathe for extreme precision but it is inadequate for wood turning, though I can turn up to 10cm (3") on it. On the delta I can turn 14" or 16" diameter. I make boxes for my netsuke on it ;you can see one on the bench.

yes I saw its a very nice spalted box. is your lid ebony or some other kind of black wood.

I love my delta its a great lathe.

have you tried inlaying crushed stone in your turnings? maybe if you havent I can give you some advice

have you tried turning corian it turns great

looks very dark for ziricote hard to tell but isent it supposed to have a wild grain on it?