To Paint Or Not To Paint?

Duncs

Hello again!

Here are a couple of frogs I have been playing around with. The tree frog is tagua nut with bull horn eyes and the fat little burrowing frog is deer crown stained in black pepper. I had planned on painting the burrowing frog to bring it to life (hence the lack of in-layed eyes) but now that I'm at that stage I'm not to sure I have the heart to do it. I like the natural look and wonder if making it too realistic would take away the hand created appeal.

What are your thoughts? To paint or not to paint?

post-3312-0-09216900-1373100541.jpg

post-3312-0-75293300-1373100547.jpg

post-3312-0-84274700-1373100556.jpg

post-3312-0-77558700-1373100561.jpg

post-3312-0-11300900-1373100570.jpg

Hi Duncs,

This is an opportunity for you to try your hand at scrimshaw. The subtle appearance of the staining and reveal of the material would be better enhanced with tiny pricked texture with a similar stain to reveal them. Painting would be of a totally different nature to what already is going on with the look of this piece. If the scrimshaw fails, you can always carve out the eye and inlay something like you did with the other frog. You might pick out pale components for that inlay, if you have to go that route. I suggest trying the scrimshaw first. Test your methods on scrap material first, test the sorts of textures that would create the eye as you hope to see it.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you come up with,

Janel

Thats a wonderful idea! I've been keen to have a go at scrimshaw for some time now and it solves my hand made appearance dilemma. I'll start researching method and tools straight away :)

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Hey again,

So this is the end result with my attempt at Scrimshaw. I think I'm all dotted out now :) Will have to track down some different materials for inlays, all I have is bull horn, however this is how their eyes appear at night time anyway so it will have to do for now.

Thanks for the advice, I'm happy with the end result, though I'm sure all the Scrims-hander's out there could criticize :)

post-3312-0-68124200-1373617635.jpg

Hi Duncs,

This version is much more interesting. Well done for your first attempt with it. The earlier, eyeless image of this one with stain in all of the creases was so much less to look at than this one. I agree, the black eyes are as they are seen with the frogs at night. I also appreciate that the creases are not outlines around the various shapes and limbs.

This technique can help to define the particular patterning of different species of frogs' skin. I know that the tree frogs where I live can be green and white to a heavily patterned silver-brown-black from one viewing to the next depending on where they are sitting at the time.

Thank you for daring and sharing!

Janel

Thanks Janel,

Heres a pic of the same species of frog (striped burrowing frog) The one I dug up was quite less colourful and twice as fat not to mention cranky for being woken in the middle of winter....... They just never seem to appreciate a self portrait :)

I'm glad I went the scrimshaw way in the end, Id like to try it again some time and have thoughts of experimenting modifying a tattoo gun. B)

Cheers again!

post-3312-0-21948000-1373631922.jpg

Archived