Jade Crossover

Lachlan

Made from Siberian jade,~6.5 cm across.

Thought Id better do some more practise with jade and this is what came out. I really focused on getting an even finish inside the crossovers and Im happy with the result. Tried for a water wet shine but it went orange peely on me so I went back to a semi gloss. Learnt lots of new things about jade and had less problems then the last one so I count that as a win for me.

Thoughts?

post-2388-0-92557400-1374020870.jpg post-2388-0-46520300-1374020875.jpg

Lachlan, looks very good, carving and polishing nephrite can be a challenge, great design all your own, you should be able to get a high finish on this if you use diamond paste from 3K up to 100 K by hand on leather, some jade looks better with the satin matte finish, personal choice.

Thanks Michael.

Used diamond paste up to 50K on cotton wheels and got orange peel. Had better luck with 2k silicon carbide sandpaper on wood sanding dry, as the jade dust impregnated the sandpaper it became very shiny and smooth, nearly water wet but not quite. I found a hard backing was needed to stop the jade orange peeling (ie cotton wheels= useless). Its not the best quality nephrite, hence a good choice to practice on.

The other thing is my diamond paste was from ebay and Im not convinced its actually any good/ graded properly, have some new stuff coming.

I do kinda prefer the satin finish with this jade, makes it glow where as when polished it becomes more glassy.

Nice design Lachlan and great execution. Not easy to keep the cross overs so neat, well done. I have also found Michaels recipe for polishing works on most nephrite, though my current project insists on being difficult grrrrr...

Archived