Greetings from South Africa

Marius Nostro Titus

Hi all.

I've been lurking here for a while and really enjoy reading the posts, not to mention seeing pictures of actual works. Ford Hallam gave me the link to this site.

Not a lot to say about myself, mostly a swordsmith that likes to experiment within the boundaries of historical methods (most works are on www.nostro-swords.co.za, although the site rarely gets updated nowadays). I also keep busy with hilt furniture for Japanese swords.

Below are few pictures of a recent project.

post-151-1129898699.jpg

post-151-1129898725.jpg

post-151-1129898789.jpg

Welcome Maruis!

Thanks for introducing yourself and sharing some images of your work. Would you tell us a little about these pieces? (I am not a metal basher, so any talk about metal work is educational for me!)

Janel

I would like to direct your attention to a topic in the photograpy section about resizing work for posting on The Carving Path. Your images are right for dimension and dpi, but need to have the file size reduced to make the page images load more quickly for those of us who have slow country telephone lines to cruise the internet with. I've just posted a message there so it might show up at the top of the Photography forum for you. Thanks.

J

Thanks for the direction, Janel.

As for the pieces, they are hilt fittings for a katana (fuchi, kashira and menuki). The theme was the fox spirit as guardian of the crop and a bountiful harvest. The fox is brass inlayed into an iron background with it's eye in shibuichi surrounded by clouds and rice plands cut into the background. A habit of mine is to wrap the animal around the kashira instead of simply having it on the top. It can be a bit tricky but worth the extra time.

The rice plants and grass on the fuchi (collar) were carved as a sunken relief and then gilded. The moon is inlayed in silver with the cloud cover simply carved in as wispy lines. The extra piece is for the scabbard mouth (still working on the fitting for the scabbard tip.)

Menuki are brass with overlay of copper and silver to create the colour.

Marius

Hi Jim

The edges at the joints are first carefully fitted together for as close a fit as possible and then they are lightly peened on the outside to drive the metal into any gaps left. The solder is then applied to the inside of the join and will not be visible from outside.

Archived