Favorite Tools

Janel

• 2 weeks later...

post-10-1107885437_thumb.jpgpost-10-1107885460_thumb.jpghere's a picture of a tool that is not necessarily my favorite, but I love the simplicity of it.

It's more or less a Japanese x-acto knife, primarily used for stencil cutting (for textile dyeing) I believe.

It's just a blade and two bamboo splints. It came with a flimsy thread wrap to hold everything together, so I applied some whipping with a waxed linen thread and tied a reef knot at the bottom for extra stability.

It's beveled on both sides, and I tend to use it for 'kebori'- or fine line cutting for surface decoration where needed, like for the water lines on this wooden kozuka copy.

• 5 months later...

Boy, we have not used this topic very much, and, it is rather an old one.

I have just completed a seven hour tool sharpening marathon, and there are more in the wings, but they are rarely used. It was time for it, some needing considerable work. Now that I am beginning a new, larger piece destined to contain two frogs toes and toe-pads with attached limbs, four eye inlays, signature inlay and color, marathon carving is now possible with all my sharped favorites lined up.

OK. Do any of you have some favorite tools you would like to show us? I would like to see the tools, and learn about what you like to do with them, er... how you use them if that can be put into words.

Janel

Edited next morning. I think that I will have a deep callous on my index fingers, one is a little tingly-tender this morning the other a little skinned. Lots and lots of tiny tool shafts pressed to the stones. I look forward to many hours of just touching up the tools during carving...

Guest ford hallam

Hiya Kathleen,

Nothing repressed about my many and wonderous states I can assure you,

can you guess what it is yet, `i`ll post the answer this evening.

ford ;)

Guest ford hallam
It's a tool to increase your 'prowess' with a particular medium....Isn't It? (very rude smilie...your imagination can do the rest...).  :P  :D

Well, it is actually a tool for facillitating my access to a particular medium, the results of which sadly reduce my prowess. It`s a beer bottle opener!

Ford, hey! i`m still standing ;)

The weekend seems to be a rather laid back one! Two out of three live topics tonight are related to consuming a relaxing liquid! Too bad we can't be sitting at the same table! I'd buy a round just to see you all smiling and hear your laughter!

I am tinkling my own ice cubes tonight as well. Today's heat index was near 100° F, though the temps have leveled off at 80° with very high humidity this evening. We have no air conditioning, just fans and cool drinks. It is time to give the carving hand a break. A little wrist weary with good progress on the new piece.

Ford, that tool is an elegant solution for the purpose. Who'd a thunk i?

Cheers to you all!!! ;)

Janel

Guest ford hallam
you are far away from my wine collection. 

Kathleen,

life is far too short to merely collect wine, it`s for supping!

`and after many years of dilligent practice I am now fairly adept at accurately and sensitively directing my tools.

we`ll have to stop meeting like this, Kathleen, people will talk....

fond regards,

Ford ;)

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

It has been four years and, I'm sure, many "rounds" since anyone has added to this thread. I'll skip any attempt at the double entendre and just use the old grade school "What I did on my summer vacation" prose.

When my wife says, "WE are going shopping", these tools become my favorites. This travel kit fits into the zippered pouch ( about 7" x 9") shown at the bottom of the first photo and includes: three folding knives each with its own pouch, a small strop, a cut proof glove, and a pencil (not shown). There is also a place in the pouch for patterns and drawings. The old orange plastic cutting board (7" x 10") that my wife discarded serves as a lap board. The kit is stored in the trunk of my car and is ready at all times. The only other object required is a small carving project.

The top knife on the second photo is the Flexcut Carving Jack with six blades: a detail and curved blade, chisel, gouge, and a "V" and "U" scorp. While it does not provide the control of a fine set of chisels, it does provide a small portable set of tools for traveling or vacationing that can accomplish many different cuts. It comes either right handed or, if you are a "south paw" like me, left handed. It comes with a special strop for sharpening it. Google Flexcut or Woodcraft if you wish more information. It sells for about $125 to $130.

The other knives are a Broker carving congress knife (second one) and a Case whittler knife (third one).

So, if you have a nomadic way of life or your spouse has a "Shop 'til you drop" bumper sticker on her car then give folding knives some thought.

Have fun carving

E George

post-152-1242868091.jpg

post-152-1242869211.jpg

• 6 months later...

Nice knives. I am new here(my first post) but am getting into netsuke and was looking at the small flextool carving chisels and others at japanesewoodworker.com. I have a limited budget right now(around 60 dollars) and like the small sets there. Does anyone have any suggestions. thanks in advance.

Greg

Learn to make your own tools.. with $60 you can set yourself up with everything you need to to make hundreds of netsuke carving knives. There are a few posts on here that describe how but if they arn't satisfactory I'll post a tutorial.

Learn to make your own tools.. with $60 you can set yourself up with everything you need to to make hundreds of netsuke carving knives. There are a few posts on here that describe how but if they arn't satisfactory I'll post a tutorial.

Thanks.I will look into that.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone considered a surgeon's scalpel? I just got myself a new one off the internet , with fifty blades for less than $20. I clamped two pieces of wood to each side , drilled them , pinned them with pieces of coat hanger rod cut to length. Peened each end after inserting through the holes. Then sanded the sides to make the handles the way I liked them. just like the one I've used for years. TRY IT> YOU'L LIKE IT.

In my experience, a scalpel of the type with the thin disposable blades creates a knife that will chatter when used with harder woods. Also the steel in them is extremely brittle when a lot of force is put behind them- they tend to shatter sometimes.

That said, there has been an occasion when I reach for one and put on a new surgically sharp blade, if I need an extremely precise cut.

Archived