Newbie From Georgia

Lizabeth M

Hey, everyone. I just discovered this forum the other day. I've been wanting to take up carving for a l-o-n-g time, but life gets in the way sometimes. Okay, it gets in the way a lot. Anyway, I bought a Murphy knife and a strop a couple of years ago, and that's as far as I got. I've gotten a little space in my life recently and the itch kicked back up again, so I guess now is the time. Who knows if I have any talent, but we have artistic leanings in my family and my brother is a masterful woodworker; maybe I got a share of the good genes he got. :-)

I actually sat down Sunday and whittled away some on some wood blocks, just getting used to the feel and the techniques of making cuts and shaping the wood. It was very relaxing, and the time just flew by.

I also am very interested in learning soapstone carving, and I am trying hard not to go off in too many directions at once; but now that I'm on the track to learning carving it's hard to rein it in. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions as I go along; I'm sure y'all will be sick of me before I stop asking.

That's my story. Later!

Lizabeth

Powder Springs

Hi Lizabeth, welcome to this forum. Here you'll find tons and tons of information, inspiration and education. I've had a few questions myself and with the search function you can find almost anything you're looking for. And if not, just ask... chances are you'll be soon on your way again, people here are very knowledgeable and willing to share, show and tell.

Archived